Announcing: NWN2 Scripting For Beginners Tutorial! (v1.02 Now Available!) - Area, HB & Timings Info Added

Hi all,

After the recent interest in script questions, I decided to try to put together some kind of tutorial for beginners. It’s something I have been looking at doing for some time, and finally took the step and wrote it.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/scripting-tutorial-beginners-nwn2

As I say, it is only for beginners, but may be helpful for those that need some early guidance.

UPDATE: Second upload after removing some typos.

Thanks, Lance.

9 Likes

Thank you Lance.

1 Like

Hi,

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Lance.

Hi All,

Now on v1.01

A logic fix on page 13 for those that have v1.00:

“In this case, if both” should read, “In this case, if either

Plus clarification in the paragraph that followed.

Thanks, Lance.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

1 Like

@Pitdmn

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

Having uploaded it, I do think there is more I could have written about, but I needed to draw a line under what I have done so far, so I can concentrate on some other stuff I need to do, like The Scroll, module 2.

Maybe one day, I will have the opportunity to add to what is there, especially if people ask more questions with what is already written. For instance, I would like to have gone into more information on certain functions like ClearAllActions and DelayCommand, which I think need some special attention.

Anyway, it’s a start, and maybe enough to help people anyway.

Thanks, Lance.

4 Likes

I have no skills in scripting, only some Microsoft vba I use at work. Currently dissecting the information to build my own module.

1 Like

@Pitdmn

Hopefully there is enough information to get you on the right track then. :slight_smile:

For the record, I decided to quickly update to v1.02 to cover a correction and a couple of other points. I will post when available.

2 Likes

Hi All,

LB Scripting Tutorial For Beginners (v1.02)

I made a minor correction/clarification regarding Area event hooks. (I added the area module object event hook image.) I also added some info about heartbeat and script timings and the DelayCommand function.

EDIT: If there is anything someone would like me to try and explain in more detail, or ask me to explain at all, then please make your requests, and I can consider adding it to the tutorial.

Thanks, Lance.

3 Likes

Thank you Lance.
Thanks a lot for the tutorial!
it’s a lot of work
Thank you very much for the detailed description of the steps.

1 Like