Avoid Download Count Reset?

What’s the preferred method to NOT have the download count reset when updating a project? Is that possible?

Guessing the names have to be identical? Would like to be able to turn “Project_v1.7z” into “Project_v2.7z” or something.

I’ve been asking this question for years without a response. That’s why my project page is littered with links marked “obsolete.” If you manage to get an answer, please let me know.

I’ve been recording the previous download count in the new file description (see example) because people keep downloading obsolete files if you leave them up.

I even did a check (on my own site) on obsolete downloads, thinking it must be bot activity. It isn’t. Go figure.

Thanks for the idea, Proleric. I’ve been wondering how to do this as well! Too bad we can’t update the project like the old vault.

I’m not so sure those download counts are accurate anyway. For example, they may be adding the count for other downloads with the same name. Plus, I suspect we’re getting downloads from web crawlers.

@rjshae - do you have any evidence?

I don’t have access to this site’s logs, but, as previously mentioned, the evidence from my own site is that downloads aren’t driven by bots. Perhaps @niv could comment. Can you give an example of downloads which have the same name and suspicious download counts?

I don’t have access to this site’s logs, but, as previously mentioned, the evidence from my own site is that downloads aren’t driven by bots. Perhaps @niv could comment. Can you give an example of downloads which have the same name and suspicious download counts?

Not direct evidence, no. Just personal observations. For example, whenever I post a new project there are almost always exactly two downloads within an hour or so. I also seem to recall that if I use a particular generic name, it immediately shows a high download count. (But I don’t recall the name at the moment. If I encounter the name again I’ll post it.)