Custom Content Challenge: February 2021 :Everything about Insects

The theme for this month’s challenge: “Everything about Insects”

This theme was suggested by quevy.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine. Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don’t be afraid, just try, you’ll be surprised!
  • “Custom Content” includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to ** nwvaultccchallenge@gmail.com** (or a non-Vault link provided) by March 1st, 2021. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. :wink:

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the Vault page. Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).

Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month’s theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge.

We’ll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can:

TR

1 Like

For myself I may have a use for four different sizes (small, medium, large and huge aka OMG) of swarm as vfx’s because as far as I know the resizing function doesn’t work on them. Then again perhaps as creatures as it is probably easier to get them to attack and be attacked instead of faking it with a vfx. On the other hand maybe both.

So what else could be done? Well some new sounds to go with the giant insects (sonic attacks by giant Cicadas?). Giant moths (Actias Selene aka Indian Moon Moth and other members of the Silk Moth family)

Giant butterflies (Ornithoptera alexandrae aka Queen Alexandra’s birdwing)

for a few ideas.

TR

1 Like

Now, I know ‘i’ve an idea’ and then not getting it out is my thing, but. I’ve a plan with Formians and my latest addiction of ant videos on Youtube.

i’m completely down for moths/butterflies however, and have also been endlessly hungering for a praying mantis

If willing to go outside of insects proper, we do have ShadowM’s centipede which is around but a shocking lack of millipedes. And then if we go into extinct territory there’s Meganeura, the giant dragonfly, and if we go even further back to… Absurd levels, there’s Lobopodians. But they may be a fair bit back as that’s also the point of absurdity

1 Like

Mantis? I’ll always try and sneak in a Spelljammer reference…

TR

2 Likes

I’ve got two types of Mantis in Demoness Tales already. The mere Giant ones and the horrifying Outrageous ones.

Big Bugs… I’ve got many a Big Bug hanging around in the Big Sack or Bag of To Do Stuff in need of actually being finished or just updated and improved…

Of course, really accurate depictions of actual species takes more time and finesse, but, if we’re open to Freakish Weird Rubbery Bizarre Fantasy Alien Weirdo Big Bugs, well…

Big Bugs are on their way. A lot.

7 Likes

I’d love to see a good gelugon. The thri kreens have always had a pretty good base but don’t quite fit.

How about a left field suggestion for a placeable or two? Imagine a simple house, complete with chimney, made from the remains of a humongous ladybird/ladybug? Of course it could always be a sprite’s/fairy’s/whatever home if you go with the shell(?) of a giant beetle of some species or other.

TR

1 Like

Suddenly, horrifyingly - but not very surprisingly - the Shabby Hyena Weirdo starts piling up a big pile of Big Bugs

These particular Big Bugs, though obtaining their textures from actual insects in a series of hideously unethical experiments accompanied by repeated “mwoo har har har” type noises, are very clearly NOT in any way an actual species of Earth insect. No shocking revelation there, what with their being nine foot tall, bipedal, behemoths - that can come at you armed with swords or axes if they’re in the mood.

I initially did these Rubbery Freak Coleopterids a while back, but they needed a bit more hitting with bricks - still do actually. Anyway, they have a right-hand (claw) Weapon Node, come in a range of gruesomely unrealistic colours and are extremely useful for portraying Huge Killer Beetle Warriors… and are pants all use for anything else.

Many more PHoD Big Bugs still to come!

6 Likes

Dammit PHoD has some really nice bugs above to decapitate and turn into hats and pauldrons.
I guess for now I will settle with whatever I can scavenged from the Original Content
(I generally try to keep my stuff within OC aesthetics range).

Hats (Helmets), Pauldrons, Shields, Weapons, Armors and placeables… no Buggy part will be wasted :smiley:

2 Likes

The Feared Watube-Watube Bug! (That’s pronounced Wah-too-bay, by the way…) Though obviously Luce doesn’t fear them, 'cause when you’re a ten foot tall Elder Demoness who battles Ancient Eldritch Abominations of the Outer Gulfs - for FUN - a few giant carnivorous Killer Bugs only count as two points each.

For more or less everyone else, however, these ravening Insects are a real pain in the, well, in whatever part of you they decide to eat first.
Massive dorsal armour on the exoskeleton makes them extremely hard to kill, their outrageously proportioned mandibles are razor sharp and the whole being fifteen feet long thing makes them formidable opponents for anyone who isn’t Hell’s greatest Huntress.

They do, however, have a single great weakness. They cannot abide the sound of Bagpipes and will almost always go completely inert upon hearing them. We emphasize the almost always. They also hate Bogberry Marmalade, but this more often than not provokes a frenzied attack - so if you’re planning a picnic when the dreaded Watube-Watube Bugs are around, just… don’t bother.
And yes, I know a true In-seck-tuh would NOT possess those barbed claws in the fashion of a Pseudo-Scorpion, but, well, you’ll just have to accept that this is a Fantasy Insect and therefore beholden only to the evolutionary laws of Weird Alien Bugs who like having extra appendages to mangle you with.

More, weirder and bigger Weird Big Bugs coming from PHoD soon…

8 Likes

I’m going to try to finish the wezer queen for this

7 Likes

I really need to remember not to view this thread while eating…

1 Like

Occurs to me that there is a (hopefully) relatively easy (to create that is) class of placeable if anyone wants to jump in here now we are 2/3 of the way through the month - insect eggs.

TR

MORE PHoD Big Bugs
Here in India, we have many Killer Bugs - and unlike BioWare Beetles, PHoD Insects actually have antennae! Sorry, couldn’t help but mention that. Not for the first time.

Incidentally, there will be yet another huge pile of Indian Stuff being added to the Maldrapur Chronicles (PHoD Kali) Vault page soon…
And now… Disgusting Sand Ticks, common to cursed deserts everywhere - and which, having six limbs, are obviously NOT true Ticks, which are Arachnids, but everyone keeps calling these things Sand Ticks, so we’re stuck with it…

Being more or less flat, they favour lurking in the sand and ambushing passing prey like a cabal of eyeless freak Spleens - then they get trampled underhoof by a passing Demoness… They match the PHoD SEN Desert Terria Tileset very well and can thus hide nastily and creep up on you.

(Assuming you want to be crept up upon by loathsome Sand Ticks…)
Also, there is the vile horror of the Evil Bug Lords! Who are evil. And are Bugs. And thus have six limbs, despite being robe-wearing bipedal types.

And yet more Big Bugs… No, I mean REALLY Big Bugs. Outrageous Big Bugs!

Bugs that will crush cottages to a paste just by sitting on them…
And still more Arthropod Fun to come from PHoD this month… assuming I get the chance. My only internet access is coming over here to this computer of my mother’s which has just now, literally in the last hour, started flashing up a box warning of a sudden eerily nebulous hard drive problem, so if the whole thing decides to have a debilitating diode aneurysm, I may vanish for an unspecified length of time… Ho-hum…

6 Likes

oh you know i could probably turn some of these tiles into placeables for the hives

4 Likes

The endless Ember Legions wage war, attempting to wipe out another colony of Formians and claim their resources for their own

Working through the various planned variants thus far, this fire ant themed one is just the first trial one for the moment. Gotta get a queen going for it which’ll be interesting as I’m half on half if I want it to be at the regular size for better NPC use, or roughly twice the size for semi-realistic queen size

5 Likes

Just a suggestion but why not double size for queen and one and a half size for royal guards that defend the queen?

TR

Since nobody else seems to have done it, I have gathered and edited a few sounds from Freesounds.org. A swarm of bees, a group of honey bees, a bumble bee, cicadas, crickets, grasshoppers and a katydid.

TR

5 Likes

And that’s a wrap. Just waiting for the submissions now.

TR