Custom Content Challenge - January 2022 : Dual Themes (Again!)

The themes for this month’s challenge: Once Upon a Time and Skyboxes

Once Upon a Time

Content inspired by various Disney movies and other fairy tales. Frozen, Sleeping Beauty, Maleficent, Aladdin, etc. (This one is similar to April 2012’s “Folk Tales & Myths”. However, it specifically mentions certain stories that were adapted by Disney studios and seems to be geared toward “lighter” aesthetics than the older theme went for.)

This theme was suggested by Baaleos.

Skyboxes

New skyboxes - pretty self explanatory.

This theme was suggested by Pstemarie.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine. Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don’t be afraid, just try, you’ll be surprised!
  • “Custom Content” includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to nwvaultccchallenge@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by February 1st, 2022. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. :wink:

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• Any 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the Vault page. Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goody. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goody.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).
  • Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

Also please include your FULL Username in your submission’s email - Either the heading or the body text. That way I don’t have to do a Sherlock Holmes in order to work out who to credit.

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month’s theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here - Custom Content Challenge - Theme Suggestions.

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge.

We’ll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can:

Custom Content Challenge - Theme Suggestions.
Vote 4 for February’s theme.
Email content to: nwvaultccchallenge@gmail.com

TR

Thanks for the info! OK! Then I’ll give Charming a try first. Don’t have any usable screens for my 2nd thing, which I have in my pipeline. Hope, that I’ll find enough time…

1 Like

I had already prepared these for our pw, I thought I’d share them here too.

8 Likes

Regarding skyboxes, does anyone know if Dusk and Dawn skyboxes are working in EE? It seems that Dawn uses the Day skyboxes and Dusk uses the Night skyboxes, regardless of the entries in skybox.2da.

I think I’m very distracted, I read skybox and I posted loadscreen :expressionless:

1 Like

Small dose of insanity for this month

1 Like

Very nice loadscreens indeed! Maybe “Loadscreens” should become a CCC theme of the month?

@quevy Actually, I thought those loadscreens would work well for the “Once upon a time” part of this month’s CCC. So yes please.

TR

Yes, they fit well to 1001 nights and Aladdin. I’m not going to take them off, but I felt stupid to have misunderstood, I have my head in the clouds, too many things to think about.

wip

is this face any better?

Yes but it would be even better if you could cut the point off of Tinkerbell’s chin. As it stands it gives the impression, at least in your picture, of her having a beard.

TR

A few thoughts on the skyboxes part of the current CCC

If it is your intention to create one or more skyboxes using the standard method, ignore everything else in this post and go for it.

As I mentioned in the thread that lists most of the skyboxes to be found on here, the majority of them use the standard rectangular model. Also most of them would be considered to have low-res textures these days too. So what I think we could do with are full HD (at the least) skyboxes. The standard model does have other flaws though. As mentioned in the description of “Ravenloft - POTM - Override Skybox” the amount of the texture, vertically (eg top to bottom) that is actually visible in game is only somewhere in the region of 30% to 40%. This depends on the PC’s height above the edge of the area (independently discovered by both myself and Izk some years ago). So it might be an idea to make some skyboxes based off of the Ravenloft model.

I did mention that the standard model had flaws (plural) earlier. Another one is that you will often see slightly darker lines in the skybox in game. These occur at the corners of the the rectangular model. One obvious way to avoid these is to use a different model. A model like that used in @cavegnome’s “SpellJammer Cylindric Skyboxes”. These utilise a panoramic view of the sky. This obviously removes those corner lines as there are no corners.

Then again, there is alternative that doesn’t use skyboxes at all. That is to use a large placeable sphere that has the texture on the inside like @theamethystdragon did for the Custom Content Challenge January 2015: Elemental Planes Stuff (I used it “as is” in the October CCC). This has pluses and minuses though. Probably the biggest minus is that it has limited viewing distances. Get too close to the sky/bubble and it fades out of sight. However, the pluses could outweigh the minuses - especially for EE. Now I don’t know if the effect of using PBR textures would actually be visible (moon and stars that actually glow?), the potential is there. Then there is the ability to change the texture via scripting in EE (only apparently works for single textures not pbr).

Whatever method you choose (if you do decide to give it a go) there is one other area of skyboxes that is not well served by the currently available ones. Why not create skyboxes for D20 modern? No need to worry about con trails, power lines, industrial chimneys, etc. Just specify that they are for D20 modern.

Lastly, there are a number of lower res skyboxes on here that include extensions to the ground to, for example, give the impression of distant mountains/forests/etc. Something akin to the backdrop curtains that were common in theatres.

Anyway, that’s my two penn’orth. Thoughts, anyone?

TR

1 Like

One other thought on the placeable solution. This is aimed at those modellers that know how to animate placeables. By having nested spheres (the outer one being opaque while the inner one has some transparent areas) and rotating the inner one slowly it should be possible to give the illusion of things moving across the “sky”.

TR

2 Likes

Used model from ravenolft, looks so better.

For those that missed it from another thread I started on Skyboxes, here is @Symphony’s blog on Working With Skyboxes from nearly 5 years ago.

TR

Ugliest tinkerbell ever

another sky
This one at least dont look like she came from garbage bin

4 Likes

Nice dragon. Anyone with a sense of humour going to do a traditional Disney cartoon dragon? -

From the original Pete’s Dragon.

@Sunssarathi2029 Re. Tinkerbell -Have you considered using one of the many heads on here, just with a reduced size. FWIW Looking at yours with a critical eye, compared to the elf stood next to her I think the mouth/lips on Tinkerbell is/are too wide and you’ve apparently got no eyelids on her either.

TR

TR

2 Likes

It’s a good size and bigger than the current one, but that Tinkerbelle has a very Heath-Ledger-Joker-vibe. I’m sure somebody will find a use for it.
@Sunssarathi2029 If you’re ok with it, post your working tink model here (zipped files can be posted) and I will replace its parts (so the models would be on the same scale). And I will post it back for you to play with.
also so scarybelle can have a slightly prettier sister to hate. :smiley:

A fat dragon… hmmm :smiley:

I made a few skyboxes for NWN2 using free sources on the net:
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/model/new-skyboxes-nwn2