Custom Content Challenge - October 2021 : Lost Lands, Lost Cities, and Hidden Valleys

The theme for this month’s challenge: Lost Lands, Lost Cities, and Hidden Valleys

Avalon, Atlantis, Aztlan, Baltia, Biarmaland, Hy-Brasil, Brittia, El Dorado, Hyperborea, Lemuria, Mu, Shang0ri-La, Thule, Troy, Great Zimbabwe. Content could be created based upon any of these mythological places. As an example a house made of gold for El Dorado, a harmonically soothing piece of music for Shang-Ri-La or an ice based sfx for Thule.

This theme was suggested by Tarot Redhand.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine. Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don’t be afraid, just try, you’ll be surprised!
  • “Custom Content” includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to nwvaultccchallenge@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by November 1st, 2021. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. :wink:

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• Any 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the Vault page. Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).
  • Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month’s theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here - Custom Content Challenge - Theme Suggestions .

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge.

We’ll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can:

Custom Content Challenge - Theme Suggestions.
Vote 4 for November’s theme.
Email content to: nwvaultccchallenge@gmail.com

TR

1 Like

This month’s challenge would seem to be an ideal candidate for pre-fab areas and items. If you need inspiration look at the Tower on Glastonbury Tor -

Standing proud above the flat countryside all around it, the hill of Glastonbury Tor is said to be the inspiration for the Isle of Avalon due to it being surrounded by water in the middle ages.

TR

Did you mean due date 1 Nov 2021? Seeing as how you posted the challenge on 1 Oct.

:wink:

You missed a couple of other errors. Feel free to pm me about any other things I missed in getting this up in a timely fashion :innocent:.

BTW, can I expect a submission from you (maybe a prefab, a script or something else) for this ccc?

TR

Oh dear! Broke cover as a lurker, now forever marked. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I & some friends are toying with the idea after having multi-played both NWN 1 & 2 off & on over the years. Many of the modules came from this site or its predecessors. I’ve been poking the building tools & and looking at resources of late as well.

I honestly don’t think we’re yet far enough along the learning curve for this contest, & my personal preference is to show folks what I’ve done, not tell them what I will do.

I am not going to deny, though, that I’ve come up with a somewhat twisted idea for a hidden domain for which standard resources should be quite sufficient. A quick search of the site does not turn up refs to the literary source of my inspiration, so I’ll try to get a copy to refresh my memory. Even if we don’t make this contest, we may get there eventually.

Dustin

Is this a good place to ask high-level conceptual stuff of the “Is it possible to…” sort, in terms of thinking about a contrib to this challenge?

Given the mist-enshrouded, soaring heights of the learning curve, poorly seen from our lowly n00b vantage point, it would be better to ask than wander off into some blind canyon. :wink:

Please point me at a better sub-forum if appropriate.

Thanks!

Just create a new thread. Select the section you want it in then press the “+ New Topic” button. Then start using the editor. In case you are not aware of the features of the editor look at this thread. Warning some features have changed since that thread was started as Discourse has been updated a number of times since then.

TR

Cool & thanks

I’m working on something. Its incredibly barely on-theme, incredibly dumb, and incredibly me. I’m hoping it’ll be done in time but, its a troublesome one

just saying, a PERFECT theme if anyone else is into. Certain giant monsters that might dwell in lost lands, or be built by ancient civilisations

2 Likes

I’m exploring a possible prefab area of Atlantis. If I do go ahead with it, it will need a maximum of 4 haks

Those 3 would definitely be in it if I go ahead after exploring the idea. If I think it necessary I might also use -

too. At this time I do not foresee a need for any other haks. Having said that there is one unreleased script/model combo by @TheBarbarian that he made for a module I ultimately abandoned, that I may add to that custom hak. I chose Pasilli’s tileset for it’s other-worldl vibe.

TR

Due to a relatively minor ailment of mine, the release will be delayed a a few days. Did anyone finish anything for this?

TR

Sadly my stuff’s still in progress, not the least because I got a big wave of the post Covid-vax headache/chills combo

Its coming. My terrible, wonderful kaiju are coming. They’ll just be a bit.

Alas, not us. Well, not me. Our “fellowship of gamers” is more of a fellowshipwreak at this point.

I’m enjoying exploring and tinkering & I’m quite enthused for the hidden things topic, as it’s a favorite & I’ve got several ideas. However, I’m still in the learner’s interminable stage between what I can imagine and what I can actually accomplish. Hopefully those two will eventually converge before too long.

Dustin

Just when you thought it was abandoned, something stirs on the horizon…

Behold the entry area -

Built, primarily to show off the stargate vfx that @TheBarbarian made for me that has been sitting on my HD doing -

that. It is a placeable with a vfx (includes an image with a txi) and driving scripts. From the pictures it should be obvious that there are routines to both activate and deactivate the stargate vfx.

Note, the stargate is not the exit to the area - there is a door for that. The door leads to the ruins of Atlantis -

The idea/story here is that when the cataclysm occurred, it came on fast but, even though it cost them their lives, the priests of Poseidon managed to create a spell that surrounded the inner city with a bubble of air (bubble by @TheAmethystDragon in a previous ccc). Alas, while some citizens managed to survive and escape via the stargate (the people of Atlantis were rumoured to be advanced), not all were so fortunate.

As the millennia have passed, so the old magic has weakened. Now it has slowly begun to fail…

Hence the falling columns of water in the background (@TheAmethystDragon in the same ccc mentioned before). Here also is one unfortunate.

Here we see the result of being too close to the temple of Poseidon at the moment the priests cast their great spell. Just when they thought they had gotten their child above the rushing waters these parents and their child perished.

These are the same statues that @Stonehammer created. I have just resized them in Blender and altered their colouration to be green. I did it that way so that the pwk were of the right size. I also turned off shadows for them as there is a slight glitch in the current build of EE. From behind, the mangled shadows made it look as though the statues were taking a leak…

This will be released as soon as my independent tester gets back to me, assuming there are no issues to be fixed.

TR

4 Likes

The Atlantis prefab has been made in EE. If you are on pre-EE this may not be a big problem as no PBR textures were used and the small amount of scripts do not make use of the EE only functions. So, if you can follow the instructions elsewhere on these forums, you should be able to make it work with Diamond/1.69.

Now in order to use this you need to have these 3 haks -

Lost Valley by Pasilli (tileset)
PHoD Ancient Greece
PHoD NEW VFX Placeables

There is a top hak that will be included too. As well as the stargate and the Poseidon statues it also includes @TheBarbarian’s Posed Skeleton Placeables so you don’t need to download them separately.

Once my tester gets back to me, I’ll see about uploading this ccc.

TR

2 Likes

And it’s released here.

TR

1 Like