Custom Content Challenge: September 2018: Hot Desert Stuff

The theme for this month's challenge: "Hot Desert Stuff":

Hot Desert Stuff - New desert plants and animals, sand and stone structures (that blend into a sandy desert area), environmental scripting, new sounds, new clothing, new heads, new wood/cloth structures, etc.

This theme was suggested by The Amethyst Dragon.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine.  Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don't be afraid, just try, you'll be surprised!
  • "Custom Content" includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by October 1st, 2018. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. ;-)

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the Vault page. Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).

Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month's theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.  

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge. 

We'll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can: 

reserved space

it could be interesting have tilesets of different kinds of deserts, like salt and rock deserts…

imagen

imagen

Deserts? They’re all the same, right? Just miles and miles of sand with the occasional dune to break the monotony. And they are all scorchingly hot, aren’t they? Wrong! For a start they’re by no means all sand. Those that are sandy are not all the same colour either. Desert sand colour ranges from almost white through yellow to the red of the Australian deserts. If you have a taste for the bizarre, at a seaside resort in North Wales (UK) there are the Whistling Sands that squeak when walked upon (no this is not a joke, this is real). While not a desert, there’s no reason not to make desert areas with this property. If you want to get fancy with sand there are the fictional sources as well. Take Frank Herbert’s Dune. In that there’s drum sand that makes a sound loud enough to attract the unwanted attention of Shai Hulud, the gargantuan carniverous desert worm.

But enough of sand. The Gobi desert has much more exposed rock than sand. Not all deserts are low level either. For example the Atacama desert is high in the Andees. Neither are they all hot. Take Monument Valley in the USA (used in many of John Ford’s John Wayne westerns as a backdrop). It has been known to snow there. In fact, strictly speaking both the Artic and Antartic are deserts due to the low rainfall experienced there.

The dryness can result in such things as dried out lakes and salt lakes (see Shemsu’s pictures). On the other hand they can have hidden moisture which results in surprise marshy areas and even quicksand. So as you see not all deserts are the same. For reference -Largest deserts in the world (plus interesting links on that page) and North American deserts.

TR

Some deserts have the consistency of talcum powder you walk in it and poof it is all over you.

Finally, someplace I can dump my low waist, transparent belly dancer pants for half orcs :smiley:

Piccies?

TR

SH_pants

This sounds very interesting

• I just did the left side. the right side is for comparison
  • Some minor alignment issues (knees) for some races but that should be an easy fix
  • it looks similar to existing pants but its actually a complete remake
  • The legs skin will follow whatever skin color you set for your character under the transparent cloth.

I its nice seeing some of your clothing work @Stonehammer there was someone years ago in the community that worked on clothing for player characters but I haven’t seen any one doing it as much as they used to in years.

working with camel mounts…

So… I got a little carried away and remade almost every part to match the pants… yes even the pelvis… SH_pants2

Camel mounts, made from free models from: opengameart.org, models-resource.com and cadnav.com, they use horse animatios.With the exception of the packed ones, they have been added to de tail list to be used as mounts.

Dromedaries made from: https://opengameart.org/content/camel

Bactrian camels made from: http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-40126.html

Fantasy camel made from: http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-40794.html

War camels made from: https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/tekken7/model/26227/

imagen

imagen

There is a issue with dromedaries. I can’t modify how high the rider is sit. With the hump dromedaries are considerably taller than horses. So I had to choose between been acurate with their size or made dwarf-camels so riders can sit at the top of the hump. I choouse to be acurate with their size, because of that I’ve solved the problem displacing the camel body a little, so the rider can sit behind the hump, which actually is a real way to ride a camel.

Even with that the model of the rider still intersects with the model of the camel, this is most pronounced with some races and sexes. However I think that after all it’s the best solution.

There is one exception, the “fantasy camel” in which the rider is sit in front of the hump. But I made this because of the shape of the mesh…

Those look great! Are you going to make them for the large pheno as well?

I love the camels and the dromedaries madly.

Even the trousers are very beautiful.

I would like to do something but I am too caught up in the other, let’s see if I can find some time.

Quick question before moving forward. (still a cc noob)
What is the CCC’s position on nipples, is the within limits?
because my final complete outfit might be somewhat risque…

SH_pants3

Since someone has expressed interest (I’ll take this question as interest), yes I will.

@Stonehammer Other CCC works have included nipples so I don’t imagine it would be a problem.

See for example

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/custom-content-challenge-october-2015-adults-only