FUNCTION ISSUE: SetNoticeText (RESOLVED!)

This is a tricky one … and may be difficult to track down, if need be.

Basically, while testing an area and conversation for my next module, I have a situation where a PC talks to someone first, and then interacts with a door. When clicking on the door, some Notice Text is supposed to show, but in this situation does not. DEBUG code shows the line of code should fire.

NB1: MAIN MENU RELOAD: If I now save the game and reload it from the Main Menu - not a quick load (in a position where the Notice Text is not showing), the Notice Text will now work on a reload.

NB2: MULTIPLE PCS: A second interesting point to note is that if there is more than just this single “test” PC in the party, the Notice Text works as expected.

So, the issue appears to be related to a single PC party and something prevents the Notice Text working after a conversation with this PC with an NPC.

It’s as if something breaks this function when using a single PC, but is fixed if reloaded from the MAIN MENU.

Any ideas anyone?

EDIT: I am going to check a couple of functions that fire during the conversation to see if they have anything to do with it.

UPDATE: OK, I have a script attached on the last node that appears to upset this function in this situation, and so I will work from there. Consider this “resolved”! Most bizarre!

UPDATE 2: Further tracking showed it to be due to a timed delay that fell just the wrong side of a variable setting!

Talking with doors, and the doors stay all silent or don’ t behave as they should or they are super sloopy, I bet you are actually a debt collector !

What solution can be done to solve that problem, well the obvious is to stop to be a debt collector and be a little friendly, but NWN2 engine still see me as well as a debt collector when I interact with doors. I told it I was collecting tax and not debt, but it didn t seem to work better.

So I stopped to speak with doors, since I can’t stop beeing a debt collector.

Now I speak to “Ipoint speakers”. I set an Ipoint speaker just in front the door and launch the conversation with it and not the door. NWN1 style if I only wish to speak, NWN2 style with statics cameras if I want something more advanced.

If the conversation is launched by the interaction with the door, I use a script in the correct interaction script slot which will call the Ipoint speaker and check/set all the condition with it.

Beceause for poeple behind NWN2 doors it seems I will always be a debt collector and they often threat me unfairly.

NB1: MAIN MENU RELOAD: If I now save the game and reload it **from the Main Menu** - not a quick load 

This means there is a bug in the way you access your object. You may access an other object than the one you want or not access it at all. When you reload or save, the components which bugs it is gone, for an other reason or an other bugs, it could be an engine bug, the nastiest one of this familly which really bugged me for exemple is that “light object” tags aren’t saved and left blank after a reload.

NB2: MULTIPLE PCS: A second interesting point to note is that if there is more than just this single “test” PC in the party, the Notice Text works as expected.

This means you aren’t “party proof”, when I started to script on BGR I had a hell of hard time to change 2 or 3 deep buried default scripts related to conversations so that you could hold a conversation with someone else than the Main PC on the TOP of the player faction list.

What you are experimenting here are very well known joys and pleasures from going from a “demo” or “prototype for one self” to an actual working game. Many proffesional develloper for AAA games tend to skip a part of all those pleasures.

2 Likes

@Shallina

In this case, thankfully, it was just a mistiming of one script firing before another had finished, which prevented the notice text GUI from showing.

… And I fixed it now. :+1:

1 Like