How are game and toolset related?

In my continuing sojourn to get both game and toolset working on a new iMac I’ve arrived at a situation where I’ve got the game running perfectly using Rosetta2 ( kind of emulator for Windows games?) and I’ve embarked on a trial of Crossover the Pro version of WINE. I got the toolset to open during the installation process and actually built a quick module, saved it and played it in game so it can be done. however, it’s way above my pay grade so I contacted Crossover support. They’ve asked me what the relation of the toolset is to the game. I haven’t a clue how the toolset actually works with the game. They must be related as modules built appear in the load column of the game but beyond that I’m lost.

I think they’re wondering if both game and toolset need to be put in the same “bottle”(WINE term?) to function. Is there anyone with any knowledge of this ? I’d ask @niv but he kinda seems to work about 40 hours a day.

On Windows, as I understand it, the toolset and the game are independent executables that happen to use the same files.

Even F9 Test is just one program launching another, albeit at an entry point that by-passes chargen.

Having read your solution to the saves issue, though, I can’t begin to imagine what goes on with the iMac.

They are separate. But as Proleric says, they use the same files (load the same bif files, open/save modules in the same place, use the same hak directory etc, in the filesystem so need access to a common location. You don’t actually say what the issue is. Your post says it worked then you contacted support.

The toolset is pretty good about respecting the userdirectory parameter.
From the directory /bin/win32/
I can start the toolset with:

wine nwtoolset.exe -userdirectory <path_to>/Neverwinter\ Nights/

This is on Linux, but I think you can get wine directly on macos also? I tried crossover a few years ago. They make it very complicated if what you are doing does not fit exactly into their process. I don’t run the game with wine, and there are no bottles. And I don’t use f9, which I don’t think would work anyway. Fwiw (maybe nothing :slight_smile:

Sorry, Meaglyn. I wasn’t clear enough. I got the Crossover trial and my understanding is that the way it handles Windows games on the Mac is to make a “bottle” ( wrapper?). I managed to use Crossover to get a bottle working for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion although it crashed fairly soon into the game. But the system was I identified the .exe file during the installation using Crossover and the end result was an Oblivion bottle ( or what looked like an ordinary icon) in the Crossover folder. I then double click on the bottle to open the game using Crossover.

However, when attempting to follow the same process for the toolset it seemed to work and half way through the process, unusually the toolset itself opened. I played with it and it seemed to be working perfectly. I even saved a module which I then played in the main game.

However, when I put the toolset away and clicked to continue the installation it finished but there was no nwtoolset.exe icon in the Crossover folder - or anywhere on the Mac.

I had it working fine on WINE on my last machine on Mojave but Apple zapped 32 bit apps with later OS versions so when I bought my new iMac I knew my old WINE wouldn’t work. I gather the new version is “wine32on64” which may well work. I was just hoping Crossover would be easier. It also supports folks who are continuing to develop WINE so I was happy to buy if my trial was any use. That was why I contacted their support to see if they could get it working. If so, they then add it to their list of compatible games on the Mac which helps me as some of the kids in the games design class I worked with had Macs and were offered the game free at home but WINE installation proved difficult.

Hope this makes sense. I hope you and Proleric also don’t mind but I’ve given support the gist of your replies to help them. In particular, Meaglyn, I’m hoping the fact that you’ve done this on Linux may prove a help.

Thanks both for taking time to reply.