How do I create spell descriptions for custom spells?

Howdy!

I’m currently creating my own spells for fun, but I’ve hit a brick wall. How dose one create a custom spell’s description and be able to view it in game, just like the other spells? I can’t seem to find the answer specifically for this little hurdle. I’m guessing it would have to be done through a hak pak, but again, I can’t find information on it. Would be a shame to stop at this point, as I’m quite adept at scripting, but with hak pak’s, I’m completely at a loss. Can anybody enlighten me or point me to something I may have overlooked? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1 Like

You have to enter name and text in tlk, then put the numeric references in 2da

2 Likes

Hi. :smiley: Adding a bit more info:

You’ll want to set up a custom TLK file. The entries in spells.2da will be referring to rows of the TLK by number.

Found you some previous help threads on the topic:

1 Like

Thank you. I think I get this. I’m editing a version of the Cep23_V1 talk file. Assuming I understand this correctly. I add a new line into the tlk, which is allocated a number (much the same as numbered lines in scripting), enter the spells description in the following field.

In the 2da, under the entry of spelldesc, I simply put the string number for that entry in the tlk file, into the spelldesc space on the 2da? If I’m right, thank you so much, to all who helped. I’d thought the community was long gone, but thanks to NWN: EE, maybe NWN remains as strong as ever. I have wanted to get into modding content for a while. Thank you both, once again.

1 Like

the loyal ones were here even without the ee. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yep, exactly. That’s how it works. :smiley: Also, yay! Always nice to see new faces. Don’t hesitate to shout if you run into any trouble! We’ve run face-first into a lot of NWN-modding walls already hereabouts, and most of the newbie trip-ups have quick answers.

2 Likes

Thanks again. I think I messed it up a little, it didnt work as planned, but I shan’t give up. Think I might have to start from scratch. Make a fresh tlk and hak. I will defo give you guys a shout if I get stuck. Once more, thank you.

1 Like