Let's Drool Here!

Yep, there is a different scream there.

But did you notice the guy who got an arrow in his leg? That was Wilhelm…

TR

Are you saying he took an arrow to his knee?

It’s 30 seconds in - “Wilhelm!” “I’ll just fill my pipe…” native American fires arrow which pierces Wilhelms thigh.

TR

That is indeed the namesake of the Wilhelm scream. I wonder if the famous scream really is that actor screaming, or was it already existent even then?

And now for something completely different. Here is an excuse to visit a free drinking fountain situated on a pilgrims way in Spain. I predict this will be very popular amongst at least some in this community. The Bodegas Irache. Might be good for a novelty in a module or even a plot point if a famous one stops working…

TR

“What do you mean it just stopped flowing said the Drunk.” “Oh parish the thought.” Nooooooooooooo Sorry bad joke.

Just a little update to the QI post earlier in this thread -

The Bonnacon is a mythical creature with the body of a bull, the mane of a horse and the ability to expel corrosive faeces with great force.

Sounds like the cattle from that Get Phil module (whatever it was called).

TR

For the Google Translated version of that web page that @kevL_s posted look here.

Turns out it’s a quite good tutorial on making code maintainable originally written in Indonesian. Google translate has done quite a good job this time. Really understandable.

TR

You understand Bahasa Indonesia?

no i was doing a google for something and the cartoon gave me a chuckle so I wanted to post it but etiquette says post a link to the page. It was in swahili (aka Bahasa Indonesia). Ironically perhaps the headings are in English (aka english) and the code is well code … & i thought the WTFs were apropos.

/with due respect to the British Empire rip

Look at the signpost in this new cartoon in a series I think I’ve linked to before in this thread.

TR

Yes, you have linked it before and thank you. I enjoyed his work so much I bookmarked his site so I can check it every weekday.

This one really is different to all the other post in this thread. While looking at various programming sites I came across what I regard as a mathematical (don’t panic) oddity. It is called Ethiopian multiplication. To my none mathematical mind it seems really weird (even weirder than Reverse Polish Notation or the sieve of Eratosthenes). In spite of my initial doubts it actually appears to work even though I don’t understand why (don’t bother trying to explain, you’ll probably fail with me).

So why am I posting about this here? Well I thought it was interesting and I suppose it could be the basis for a puzzle in a module.

If you want to test it for yourself I have created a version that works in NwN based on the C code on the page about this method. To try it just create a tiny module with a single area. In this area paint a usable placeable (I used the pull chain found in Containers and switches). Make a script that uses the following code and place it in the placeable’s OnUsed event. And that’s it. Script is under the button below in order to save space for the uninterested.

Script
int HalveIt(int iThisNumber);
int DoublIt(int iThisNumber);
int IsEven(int iThisNumber);
int Ethiopian(object oPC, int iLeftColumn, int iRightColumn, int iDoTutorial);

void main()
{
    object oPC = GetLastUsedBy();
    string strResult;

if(GetIsPC(oPC))
    {
        strResult = IntToString(Ethiopian(oPC, 17, 34, TRUE));
        SendMessageToPC(oPC, "Result = " + strResult);
    }
}

int Ethiopian(object oPC, int iLeftColumn, int iRightColumn, int iDoTutorial)
{
    int result = 0;

if(iDoTutorial)
        SendMessageToPC(oPC, "Ethiopian multiplication of " + IntToString(iLeftColumn) + " by " + IntToString(iRightColumn));

while(iLeftColumn >= 1)
    {
        if(IsEven(iLeftColumn))
        {
            if(iDoTutorial)
                SendMessageToPC(oPC, IntToString(iLeftColumn) + " -- " + IntToString(iRightColumn) + " Dropped.");
        }
        else
        {
            if(iDoTutorial)
                SendMessageToPC(oPC, IntToString(iLeftColumn) + " -- " + IntToString(iRightColumn) + " Kept.");

result += iRightColumn;
        }
        iLeftColumn = HalveIt(iLeftColumn);
        iRightColumn = DoublIt(iRightColumn);
    }
    return result;
}

int HalveIt(int iThisNumber)
{
    return(iThisNumber >>= 1);
}

int DoublIt(int iThisNumber)
{
    return(iThisNumber <<= 1);
}

int IsEven(int iThisNumber)
{
    return((iThisNumber & 1) ==  0);
}

TR

I can see how that works, but yeah, it would be hard to explain, but let me try anyway. In the example, the 544 is 34 doubled 4 times, or 16*34. To that you add 1 * 34, to get 17 * 34. I could never have thought of this idea, but having seen it, I can understand it.

Nay, 'tis magic I say. Magic that works dammit. Thanks for the attempt (image a cat, paw in each ear going la, la, la :smile_cat:) though. (I understand the explanation for the example not the method itself. Sort of like I understand that 1 + 2 = 3 but not the equation a + b = c where a=1, b=2 and c=3. I explained that badly I think)

TR

I’m just going to put this in here because they make me happy and this thread looks like a decent place to post miscellaneous neat stuff.

:sob:

Those are rather nice!

That’s an upgrade! Definitely better then “standard look” :+1: