Let's Drool Here!

It looks great. I think I will keep rolling my dice the old fashion way. It is hard to break a four plus decade habit. Believe me this is one habit I will never quit. :wink:

[Smelly warning]

Did you go kayaking in New Zealand waters a couple of years ago? Did you lose something? Then this may be of interest to you.

TR

You know that saying about “All roads lead to…”, well it turns out it’s true as this interactive map (i.e. you can move it around and zoom right in) shows.

On the other hand you may find this folktales and other weird stuff site of interest if you need story inspiration.

TR

1 Like

Two (sort of) related pages linked to this time.

First are you a fan of the Larry Niven Known Space series of novels (Ringworld series, Man/Kzin Wars series, Protector, etc.)? At the heart of all these works is the what-if our galaxy had become a Seyfert Galaxy. If you’ve ever wondered (I know I did) what precisely a Seyfert Galaxy is wonder no more. This page and all the links from it should help explain.

Wikipedia is a great resource that holds a lot of information about what the human race know. However finding out what we don’t know (at least not yet) used to be trickier. Wikenigma aims to remedy this. Of course it doesn’t cover all the new stuff we have yet to discover just those things that we know that we don’t know. One minor word of caution though. This site uses the old http web address scheme and not the newer, more secure https.

TR

1 Like

I want to recommend to all of you this small good utility which I recently stumbled upon - WizTree.

WizTree is the world’s fastest disk space analyzer. It scans your hard drive and shows you which files and folders are using the most disk space. It does this in the FASTEST way possible - you simply won’t find any other application of this type that’s quicker! Use the information WizTree provides to quickly locate and remove “space hogs” from your hard drive.

It’s fully free and very lightweight.

The link: https://antibody-software.com/web/software/software/wiztree-finds-the-files-and-folders-using-the-most-disk-space-on-your-hard-drive/

Having trouble coming up with names for the characters in your latest module? Daniel Defoe author of Robinson Crusoe certainly didn’t. He apparently had in the region of 200 different pseudonyms. You can view the different pen names he used throughout his career on this page on the Registry of Pseudonyms website.4 of these are Sir Fopling Tittle-Tattle, Sir Malcontent Chagrin, Sir Timothy Caution and Hen. Antifogger, Jr.

TR

Now here’s something from QI again. This time it’s bridges. But these are no ordinary bridges. These are more colourful than most. There’s one in Gothenberg, Sweden and a different one in Wuppertal, Germany.

While I’m at it bringing you quirky stuff… I suspect other systems around the world show you what is happening right now. It just so happens that this one is for London’s world famous one. Not only was this where the world’s first one of this type of transport was built, it also has a map designed for it that was a world’s first too.

TR

1 Like

I guess this is the thread for cool stuff from the web? If so, then The Dark Mod has been (somewhat) recently updated to version 2.7 and several new missions are available since then. Stability / performance release for features introduced in 2.6 last year.

Click for screenshots from "Marsh of Rahena" (really dark - watch at night)

The hag’s house (yes, that’s a skeleton wearing elk skull for a head)

Castle exterior (key hunt galore - you’ll climb these walls a few times)

Castle interior (spider infestation on 1st floor - the crowbar is a lockpick)

EDIT: there are some artifacts on the screenshots, but these were accidentally introduced by me when I a posteriori increased the gamma.

2 Likes

This one is aimed squarely at those pw’s that use a non-Bioware database. Did you know that there is a free community version of MySQL? Well almost free. As part of the licence for using that edition you must make any code you write for it open source. That is just one thing I discovered on this site (in the comments section actually) that reviews a number of free database software solutions. Take a look, you might find better than what you currently use or had planned to use.

TR

1 Like

Some of you will remember the old (pre personal/home computers) days of early PnP D&D when you would design your dungeons using nothing more that pen and paper. You may have been slightly more sophisticated than just using plain paper and used graph/squared/hex paper instead. Perhaps you (doubtful but you never know) design some of your areas for NwN that way or if you still play PnP D&D you still design that way.

In that case I may have stumbled across a free resource for you. Look here for just about any pre-ruled paper that you could ever want. They are all free to download and print off for your own use. You never know, they could prove useful.

Be aware, however, this site uses the less secure http: (as opposed to https:) type of web address.

TR

2 Likes

omg Engineering flashbacks

Static websites or those you don’t input anything to are in general safe to use without TLS (unless - of course - they serve you sensitive or embarrassing material). But this website is a good find - it provides for free vector graphics.

Funny you should mention that… I have something I have been working on since the middle of April. The actual thing itself was finished weeks ago, its my obsession with providing good documentation that is holding it up. Oh and don’t ask what the thing is. It will be posted when I finish the docs.

TR

I don’t need to - I already know what project you’re making. PM me if you want to do a collab. I also challenge everybody to a “no docs barred” good project documentation contest.

As someone who started DMing D&D, 13 months before the AD&D Monster Manuel came out. I can sure remember using the graph paper I still do when I run a table top game. Just no where near as much any more. Thanks for your info as usual TR. It’s hard to believe it’s been 43 years for me as of June. Damn I’m getting old. lol:rofl:

Here is something I didn’t know existed, so hadn’t seen before. I knew the guy could write but not that he could paint as well. Here is an article on J.R.R. Tolkien’s artwork that features a rather good picture of Hobbiton.

TR

1 Like

There’s an exhibit going around with a lot of his work in it. And a book from the home archives which is pretty nice. The original US paperback covers were his work too, including that hobbiton picture on Fellowship.

If you’re in the northern hemisphere and the weather is getting to warm for your taste try looking at these winter pictures from Lake Baikal in Siberia. Some of those pictures are reminiscent of the surface of Jupiter’s moon Europa.

TR

1 Like

Now as you may realise I have a somewhat warped sense of humour (once called “clinically sane but mad”), so when I came across these (yes I know they’re not NwN) on YouTube I found them mildly amusing. Posting links instead of the actual vids just in case someone decides they want to subscribe to the creator (same person for both). -

Back to Tamriel
Return to Skyrim.

TR

Calling all ailurophiles. Having trouble naming your cat’s latest batch of kittens (or maybe your more exotic NPCs)? Have no fear, AI is here to help out! It’s true. Somebody actually trained a neural net (not once, but twice!) to generate names for kittens and a pet shelter in the USA has actually used some of them. A couple my favourites are PomPomPur and Whiskeridoo. See some of the rest on this blog.

TR