MDB/GR2 to FBX & FBX to MDB/GR2 tools

It’s clear from the log that the meshes are converted as RIGD. Helms should be SKIN. Have you skinned the meshes or just parented them to the skeleton.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to tell the converter how to make a mesh a SKIN rather than a RIGD. I tried to give the mesh bone weights, so I thought that would be enough.

You tought correctly. You should just skin the mesh to the skeleton. The skin should be exported to the FBX. Then, fbx2nw detects that the mesh is skinned and converts it as SKIN.

I suspect you aren’t correctly skinning the mesh. I have inspected helmet.blend. Each mesh has an Amarture modifier but the Object field is empty. I set this field to P_HHM_Skel and then the meshes are converted as SKIN.

Yes, I just discovered that as well. I thought I’d done that but I was wrong. Thank you for your help.

One thing I noticed though is that the exported helmet model has a texture in the glow map field of the material properties, even though I never added one in the original model.

I see that the texture P_HHM_PH_Helm80 has checked Diffuse Intensity influence. This gets exported to FBX as the EmissiveFactor material slot which my tool takes as the glow map.

About COLS_Head: for collision spheres, what matters is the position, the name is conventional. Your collision sphere is at origin (0 0 0). You should set its position same as the bone you want to bind. In Blender, you could use the constraint Child Of so the collision sphere position is always same as the bone.

Thanks. I’ll have to put together a check list so I get everything right next time.

Is anyone interested in using my tools in Linux or other OS?

NWN2 isn’t cross platform… so it’s not as appealing in general.

I’ve only seen a few posts from people who run NWN2 on the Mac; the toolset doesn’t work there, apparently. I’m not sure if NWN2 was ported to Linux, other than with the Xoreos FOSS project. People running NWN2 on Linux are probably doing so via Wine. If BeamDog ever decides to do an EE for NWN2 though, that could change.

If I remember correctly Trent of BD said that another company has the rights to NWN 2.

Certainly not related to Freshlook tool, a strange thing that shows how “capricious” NWN 2 is.

I have created a new male head. As usual I create 3 fbx : one for HH and AH, one for EH, one for EE and variants.

All three fbx are then converted to mdb and appear correctly in game character creation screen. I create the elves variants (ES, ED, EW, ER, EL) from the elfe mdb EE with mdbconfig … no problems.
I create the aasimar (HA) variant from the human mdb and … the resulting mdb shows bad rigging for the right half of the face !!! I try to create the HA variant with mdbcloner … same punition, right part badly rigged.

And what is very strange : I use the same HH mdb to create a yuan ti (HP) and an air genasi (HI) and both variants have no problem !!!

I suspect that the HA head skeleton is different from the HH head skeleton. And by different I not only mean the number of bones or the name of bones, but also the order in the bone hierarchy, since the MDB references bones by bone index and not by bone name.

AH heads use HH skeleton, and I already did working conversion of HH to AH.

In fact all heads use HH skeleton except dwarves, gold dwarves and duergar who use DD skeleton, Gnomes and svirf who use GG skeleton, grey orc and 1/2 orc who use OO skeleton.

I will follow your suggestion and convert the unworking AH head to fbx and check in 3DS how are ordered the bones.

Ack. Well I thought I had this all working, but I’ve run into another issue with the following export:

Within Blender everything looks to be lined up properly with the head of a half-orc male “model”:
model_fit
However, when I display it in game, the hat is sticking out of the chest:

Everything else seems fine, and there were no errors in the log.txt. I checked the bone weights in Blender, and they appear to be 100% on the Head bone.

Looking at how a vanilla helm is done, I think the helm mesh should be at the desired place with the object position set to (0 0 0). If you reset the position of the helm to (0 0 0), it will be at the same place that in your screenshot.

Thank you.

With 3DS Max you can choose between many shaders.

The default shader is Blinn which I use for flesh, a variant of it, Oren nayer Blinn is best suited for fabric, and Phong works with circular highlights (eyes).

Here is the difference between Blinn shader

hhm25_caius_blinn

and Phong shader

hhm25_caius_phong

I wondered from where came the shadow effect on the second model. Now I know.

Are you talking about the material?

Yes, the material.

You can choose the shader basic parameters : anisotopic, metal, blinn, multi-layer, oren-nayar-blinn, phong, strauus or translucide.

I don’t know where it’s stored in the mdb, because it doesn’t appear in mdbcloner or mdconfig.

That’s the algorithm used for Specularity AFAIK - It’s stored in the header file of the MDB. It’s not exposed by MDB Cloner.

When you paint in the alpha channel of your Normal map… you are painting the intensity of that material.