Nothing showing in Blender

Whenever I try to import an mdl in Blender using Neverblender, nothing shows up.

… this is strange…
Does the System Console tell you anything (3D-view-menu → Window → Toggle System Console)?

Are your test models decompiled? I mean, you can define a decompliler in Neverblender, but if you have not, import will not work. ASCII does (nearly) always work for me. If not, Blender shows errors and one can check (via the System Console), what might not be working.

(Definitely a fan of the fine work that you both have done)
Is the add on enabled?
Can you locate and import any files?
I too have had numerous glitches while trying to get mdl files into the program

While I cannot genuinely resolve your issue, ZnD, I do have some of my own.
I fail to understand how to fix what is displayed as an error
The decompiled a_ba model exists in the workspace and I can manipulate it…
However, none of the “imported” animations are available to me (nor do they play)
I do note that the Aurora base isn’t in scene

Please, Those of you who are knowledgeable, could you identify where I, too, have fallen off track and what I could do to remedy the situation?
Neverblender 2.8… Blender 3.1…CleanModels as decompiler
Blender files and apps are in D:/
Win10 64bit

Thanks in advance.

Although I don’t know too much about blender I do know that there isn’t an Aurora base as such in blender. Neverblender does it slightly differently. First I’d get rid of the camera and light - they only clutter up your work area and are really only needed if you intend to make a cgi movie :slightly_smiling_face:.

For a concise explanation of how to add the Neverblender equivalent to an Aurora base try this thread from the point that I linked to. @Symmetric was very helpful to me in that thread.


Done and done…
No real progress yet…
I’ve been scouring the links for my answers.
Thanks TR it is appreciated.

“So many buttons and dials and switches” -Airplane

I reframed my problem(s)…and started again from scratch…
I have re-absorbed large amounts of info (gleaned from the wiki and other experience, Ty TR) into my perspective…
And have gained some modicum of success which I will briefly share here in the belief that it saves others from the bother that piqued me…
Success !

Not only did I get my de-compiled a_ba but also figured how to drill into the blender file structure and represent the animation (See upper right of image). It did require figuring the use of the “End” time function (Here I expanded it to 1000).
The image above is the first immediate screen alluding to the animation controls.
(Though I have not yet fully understood the editing protocols)

Evidently, Blender is very sensitive to procedural structures but not too clear about the diagnosis of user interface problems. Another learning curve.
Migrating from max, the protocols are quite different.

ZnD, I suspect a user error.
(For me…I suspected a “pathing” problem…)
What I did was restructure my file directories (in D:/) so they were more coherent.
(aka…BlenderUtilities, Mesh files, documentation, etc)

Then uninstalled all the relevant i/o apps from Blender (also in D:/).
Re-launched the program.
Re-installed the the zipped apps into Blender from their new file locations (as per the instructions given)
And enabling the Add on (Edit>Preferences>Addons)
Voila !

First I deleted the central box and removed the light and camera from my scene.
Then I reloaded my decompiled a_ba and got some results (as per the above)

I certainly have not yet the command of Blender 3.1 that I would like but I now feel more confident to comprehend all the buttons, dial, switches, colours, symbols, dialogs and terminology.
Blender is a truly fabulous program with a wide selection of useful resources.

Lastly, a big thank you to Symmetric for developing this i/o for our beloved game.
Now on-wards to mastering the creation & export of animations workflow…

Don’t want to worry you but you may need to download the latest version of Blender. Just before Christmas 3.4 was released and is the version I have installed (would have said used but the way I stumble through it…).


That usually means it’s a binary mdl. By default NeverBlender cancan only load ascii mdls. You’ll need to download an external decompiler like cleanmodels.

Neverblender can at least call that automatically, it can be set up in NeverBlenders’ Add-On Preferences. See here:

Seems you fixed it, but just FYI: You’ve been using quite an old NeverBlender Version. That particular issue been fixed almost a year ago, with version 2.8.037 from April 2022 :smile: