POLL - What do we do about the forums?

I really like the old forums look
I can’t stand the looks of the New Forums At All, I can’t stand the way they look to the point that I never hardly ever look at them 99% of the time.
That said I love a lot of the new features the new forums has.

If you could make the New Forums look like the old ones then I’m all in.

If you could add the New Forums features to the old forums then I would love to stay with the old forums.

So do what you want with that info.

I just thought I would share how I felt.

I’m of a similar opinion as Tonden. I like the organizational look of the old forum, but can appreciate the new features. Looking at the main new forum just makes me feel a little lost where to go.

• Mark

I can’t say I am enthused about the new forums but my main complaint is javascript I dislike enabling it in any context, as well as some vague concern over third party hosting.

I guess new features are nice but I will probably never use most of them, It seems to me that whatever is most admin able should be the way forward, Ideally having the old topics migrated would be best but archived would be a second choice if that turns out to be to be to much work.

My two cents

I’m not sure what you mean about the 3rd party hosting, but the forum being totally nonfunctional without JS turned on is a fair point. Most decent sites have at least some fallback, even in these days. Rather than enabling it globally though, you could use something like NoScript and just trust the vault, so that this site will load but scripts will continue to be blocked elsewhere.

Not a fan of the look of the new forum either. Also, making it more like a chat room, discord etc, is not a feature. I find that constant attention grabbing less than helpful. That said, some of the other features of the new boards are nice. A dark theme would be appreciated as mentioned above.

The link at the top presumably could be made to point to the actual vault instead of back here?

Could neverwintervault.org/forums be made to point here? Seems like it could just redirect to forums.neverwintervault.org. I don’t think we are talking about getting rid of the drupal site, just the forum part.

I’m with proleric that it would be cool to get the old stuff into the omnibus.

I’ll go vote to do this and keep my sunglasses handy.

Here’s one thing that I really like and yet I bet a lot of you don’t realise. Now here is the custom 2da that is part of my submission for January’s ccc -

2DA V2.0

Who              What            How		Colour

0000 1 “Ek’ masu-kov Mortus” 10 700
0001 1 “S’hai1e t’ wuh tevik” 10 070
0002 1 “Ik nam-tor wuh tevik?” 10 007
0003 0 “Etek nam-tor wuh tevik” 4 770
0004 1 “Ik nam-tor wuh tevik?” 10 707
0005 0 “Ek’ nam-tor tevik” 4 077
0006 1 “Du nam-tor wuh dying” 10 777
0007 0 “Ek’ nam-tor tevik” 4 000
0008 1 “Vi’ wuh brag” 10 730
0009 0 “Ek’ nam-tor tevik” 4 444
0010 1 “Vi’ wuh so1ektra” 10 572
0011 0 “Ek’ nam-tor tevik” 4 674
0012 1 “Yem-tukh na’ worms” 10 333
0013 0 “Ek’ nam-tor tevik” 4 375
0014 1 “Du nam-tor grazhiv” 10 637
0015 0 “Ek’ nam-tor tevik” 4 174
0016 1 “Du nam-tor rai weht” 10 714
0017 0 “Ek’ nam-tor tevik” 4 346
0018 1 “Ek’ masu-kov Mortus” 10 740
0019 0 “Ek’ masu-kov Mortus” 4 551
0020 1 “S’haile t’ wuh tevik” 10 147

but that is before I use the pre-formatted text option in the little menu at the top of this window. This -

2DA V2.0

Who              What            How		Colour
0000    1    "Ek' masu-kov Mortus"		10		700
0001    1    "S'hai1e t' wuh tevik"		10		070
0002    1    "Ik nam-tor wuh tevik?"	10		007
0003    0    "Etek nam-tor wuh tevik"	4		770
0004    1    "Ik nam-tor wuh tevik?"	10		707
0005    0    "Ek' nam-tor tevik"		4		077
0006    1    "Du nam-tor wuh dying"		10		777
0007    0    "Ek' nam-tor tevik"		4		000
0008    1    "Vi' wuh brag"				10		730
0009    0    "Ek' nam-tor tevik"		4		444
0010    1    "Vi' wuh so1ektra"			10		572
0011    0    "Ek' nam-tor tevik"		4		674
0012    1    "Yem-tukh na' worms"		10		333
0013    0    "Ek' nam-tor tevik"		4		375
0014    1    "Du nam-tor grazhiv"		10		637
0015    0    "Ek' nam-tor tevik"		4		174
0016    1    "Du nam-tor rai weht"		10		714
0017    0    "Ek' nam-tor tevik"		4		346
0018    1    "Ek' masu-kov Mortus"		10		740
0019    0    "Ek' masu-kov Mortus"		4		551
0020    1    "S'haile t' wuh tevik"		10		147

is after. That’s right, pre-formatted text actually works on here. Here is a function that was part of my deadly candles addendum to the September 2014 ccc - before

// CreateZombies spawns iHowMany Zombies in the vicinity of lHere. For
// multiple Zombies there is a short delay between spawns to allow each
// to spawn before the next. Zombies are a special case in that there are
// 2 appearance types for the ordinary Zombie.

void CreateZombies(int iHowMany, location lHere)
{
int iIndex;
if(iHowMany == 1)
CreateObjectVoid(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, “nw_zombie01”, lHere);
else
{
CreateObjectVoid(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, “nw_zombie01”, lHere);
for(iIndex = 1 ; iIndex < iHowMany ; iIndex++)
{
if (IsOdd(iIndex))
DelayCommand(0.5 * IntToFloat(iIndex), CreateObjectVoid(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, “nw_zombie02”, lHere));
else
DelayCommand(0.5 * IntToFloat(iIndex), CreateObjectVoid(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, “nw_zombie01”, lHere));
}
}
}

and after

// CreateZombies spawns iHowMany Zombies in the vicinity of lHere. For
// multiple Zombies there is a short delay between spawns to allow each
// to spawn before the next. Zombies are a special case in that there are
// 2 appearance types for the ordinary Zombie.

void CreateZombies(int iHowMany, location lHere)
{
    int iIndex;
    if(iHowMany == 1)
        CreateObjectVoid(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "nw_zombie01", lHere);
    else
    {
        CreateObjectVoid(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "nw_zombie01", lHere);
        for(iIndex = 1 ; iIndex < iHowMany ; iIndex++)
        {
            if (IsOdd(iIndex))
                DelayCommand(0.5 * IntToFloat(iIndex), CreateObjectVoid(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "nw_zombie02", lHere));
            else
                DelayCommand(0.5 * IntToFloat(iIndex), CreateObjectVoid(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "nw_zombie01", lHere));
        }
    }
}

TR

Two things here. If I highlight some text in another person’s post, discourse automatically gives me the option to quote that text in a post. The other thing is what 3rd party hosting? Look at your address bar. This is still on neverwintervault.org.

Discourse is free, open source software. They make their money from hosting the application for those that don’t want the bother of doing so charging $100 and up for the privilege. In other words we pay nothing for using it. Have a look at their site if you are interested.

Is it perfect? Don’t be silly. I personally can’t stand that when it notifies me that I’ve received a pm it emails me the whole damned message. But that aside I mostly love it. And not only is it still being maintained, it is still actively being developed.

TR

Okay, so at what point is the decision made to switch? Are we just going to wait another couple of years?

Like I have said I like some of the new features, I really do.

I’m also a Very BIG fan of open source software.

All that said I still really like the looks of the old forums far better.

I echo some of the above comments in I feel there are issues I have with functionality, though some of those may result from my permission levels being different to the original forums. Not sure. However I find the layout too busy and feel it follows this obsession with producing software that contact you directly in an obsessive fashion, something I find less than desirable. But then again I’m not of the Twitter generation and am yet to ‘follow’ anyone online.

Another point I’d echo is that it’s not as organised as I personally would like in terms of locating information. There appear to be only a category level and topics below with no intermediate sub-category. Being of the old school of forum organisation I don’t feel that lends itself to being a reference library and dislike the “if it isn’t new it doesn’t matter” approach. However if that can be changed that objection would go away.

I still don’t see a “Mark All Read” option on a category. Something I would really like to have seen at a higher level on the older forums for times when I’ve had no (opportunity for) internet access for a few days and really don’t want to have to click read every topic in categories I don’t watch to remove it from new topic lists.

However I do understand that some aspects of including information in posts are better and can see why that’s a draw and at least it doesn’t introduce a feature that keeps trying to correct my spelling to US “English”. :smiley:

If we are moving though I think it’s a good idea to do it soon, the existence of two forums is becoming confusing.

In my opinion the new forums look way better (and behave way better; actually functioning search, for example…) than the old. I voted that the old forums should stay but only read-only, but if there is a way that is not too much work it would maybe be better if the posts there were relocated to these forums, and then the old forum shut down? Whatever you do, don’t lose any content… Then you risk losing users also, as mentioned above here.

Now that we have a fixed version of the dark theme, I have changed my vote to making these the official forums, and the old ones as a read-only archive.

I’ve been holding back on voting since there’s one thing that’s more important to me than all the other stuff.

code

aka preformatted text

afaict, in this forum it appears in a box and I’m (likely/often) going to have to do the horizontal-scroll thing (which means I’d probably copy/paste it to a texteditor before trying to actually read it …). In the other forum (in which the controls work for some and not for others…) code appears integral to the post itself : no horizontal scroll thing. The downside of that is that if a LoC is too long, it will wrap …

My only (known) objection to switching to this forum would be defunct iff the width of posting threads was wider (perhaps adjusting itself automatically to my browser’s width) and any code-boxes is rendered correspondingly wider in a thread.

that said, i’m pretty easy going bla blah

@niv - the poll has been open for over a month. We seem to have an overwhelming preference for this forum, and a narrow majority for keeping the old one as read-only. Are you able to implement this?

I’ve switched the menu entries around, and added a header to the old forum warning people about the impending change. I’ll turn them read-only soon, but not today. Maybe end of this week?

Meanwhile, we can keep tweaking this install. I’ll see about getting the spam detection in line.

Anyone who was previously a moderator on the forums but isn’t yet, please shout at me.

Hurray!

I’ve closed the poll, since the decision seems to be made now. :+1:

Perhaps the ‘New Forums’ notice can be removed from the top of the front page now?

I’m still hoping there will be a link to the new forums on the nwn7 theme at some point. Or when switched over that a link to old forums would be added :slight_smile: I’m using the poll notice link currently to get here from the vault…

Well then the text of the message could be changed so people know they don’t need to go and vote any more.