This discussion is very instructive, please continue and thanks to all the participants.
That reinforce the idea I had about elves. If I put aside Skyrim elves who are very different from humans, my idea was to add pointy ears, and to work on the facial traits to make them less “square” or “round”.
As an example her is the latest head I did. In the screenshot below you have the human model to the left, end the elfe model to the right.
The differences are not huge. Here is what I did :
- Remove optional beard
- texture : remove integrated short beard and make the eyebrows thinner
- mesh : make the ears pointy and a bit longer
- mesh : make the nose a bit less large
- mesh : select all facial vertices and shrink horizontally, then do the same with shin vertices, and neck vertices. examine and moves vertices to eliminate resulting angular poly.
- mesh : as a result of shrinking, eyes pop out of head, so rotate eyes, move them a bit toward interior and work on the outer vertices of the orbits.
Things that could be done to make the two heads more differents
- Remove eyebrows - I read somewhere that elves have no body hairs
- Soften eyebrow ridges
- make shin narrower and a bit longer
- modify eyes shape