Project FL

Hi!

I do a little self-taught texturing work but am otherwise a total clueless normie here.
I see almost no difference between the nwn2 and FreshLook. Is that because I’m clueless, or because that’s the point of your project, that you can reverse-engineer something that creates an almost exact aesthetic match (without the annoying hardcoding or out of date-ness issues?) I get that any modern capabilities that we can get are just fab, and it’s neat… but I’m in desperate need of Clue One here.

:slight_smile:

That might cause some problems as well, since all of the models are built with back-face culling in mind.

I see almost no difference between the nwn2 and FreshLook.

I think that was the point of FreshLook’s screen shots; to show that the initial engine version appears identical to the NWN2 engine. It should improve thereafter.

Okay, neat. Thank you.

Does 3ds Max allow create two opposite faces from the same vertices? Blender doesn’t, it’s necessary to have duplicated vertices for each face, which I think is annoying to manage.

I could add a flag somewhere (e.g. MDB material) that specifies the culling mode of a mesh.

You can copy and paste faces then flip them in blender.

That copys and pastes the vertices too, so you end up with duplicated vertices. Now, remove duplicated vertices (CTRL+V -> Remove Doubles) and then half of the faces disappears, because Blender can’t have two faces sharing the same vertices. However, I don’t have enough experience in modelling to know how annoying is to have duplicated vertices.

When I need a duplicate mesh with reversed faces in Blender (such as for a tent inner face or the reverse of a flat net texture), I just duplicate the selection, flip the normal facing, then displace it by a tiny amount (say 0.001). That’s enough to avoid merging vertices with the default merge radius in Blender, and so small that the displacement is essentially invisible.

Between this and reverse engineering granny…

If I have two faces sharing the same vertices I can weld the vertices if they don’t share an interior edge : a quad has an inner edge, suppose 2 quads with the same vertices and the same inner edge : stage 1, I can weld the two pairs of vertices that are not at the end of the inner edge, after that 3DS allows to weld the 2 inner edges, then I can weld the two pairs of vertices that are at the end of the inner edge. At this stage I have 2 quads facing opposite and 4 vertices. Now 3DS Max cry a bit and says I have “rat nests in my mesh”, the flickering is intense.

This issue happens with almost all sims hair .obj files. I don’t know if it comes from the way the sims save the mesh, or from the tool that convert sims files to obj format.

I think that if you turn on backface culling, the flickering will go.

Anyway when you convert to NWN2 such a mesh, the result is ugly.

That’s a problem I had when I started modelling for NWN 2 in 2010, and it took me a lot of time to found that the double faces were the culprit. At this time there were not many experienced modellers and I had to learn by myself, which is longer.

Here is an example of the problem

This might just be your UV Mapping. I’ve fixed a lot of hairs that had this issue. NWN2 is finnicky.

For these hairs, the problem was not the uv mapping. Once I had deleted the inner poly the problem was no more.

Ah gotcha, I had a similar issue with uv map overlapping.

afaik no app directly supports double sided polygons, but you can create double sided materials / shaders. this is also something you could add to your custom renderer. in game engines such materials are often not used because of the performance impact they create. it’s always better to use two separate polygons with flipped normals to create the desired effect.

This is what I always thought as well… You rarely need double sided faces in games just in general.

I am not an expert in game engine, but if no application directly support double sided poly, then why does all sims hairs meshes have double poly?

Exciting stuff. One feature that has been missing in NWN2 is alpha blending support for stuff like partial transparency - this can be only partially emulated by glow maps or alpha model effect with both approaches having various issues.
If I had to choose one area where NWN2 looks dated, I would probably pick the default skybox and skyring system. Night sky is more or less fine, but the day sky looks just basic.