Project FL

Aren’t those Sims games using all low-poly models? Maybe it just saves on production costs not to have to duplicate meshes.

Now if only we could get a working SpeedTree editor… :evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::palm_tree::cactus: :new_moon_with_face:

it’s a few years ago, but i believe that the speedtree editor shipping with the dragon age origins toolset was the same/similar version obsidian used to create trees for nwn2. iirc i at least could open and edit them. at that time i didn’t really do anything with it, and so i don’t know if one is able to export a custom tree for use in expotron. it’s worth a try, though.

Trees (but not grass it seems) can be actually lit by a torch/point light but a) it’s limited to a single light closest to the tree and b) works only if the area’s ‘Has Directional Light?’ option is set to false. It does look pretty nice in interiors.

it’s a few years ago, but i believe that the speedtree editor shipping with the dragon age origins toolset was the same/similar version obsidian used to create trees for nwn2. iirc i at least could open and edit them. at that time i didn’t really do anything with it, and so i don’t know if one is able to export a custom tree for use in expotron. it’s worth a try, though.

Yes I tried that a few years back. I could open the tree files but I couldn’t seem to do anything useful with them. Plus there’s no documentation, so it’s a bit of a black box.

I added height fog to the engine. Do you like the it?

Very nice. But will that be off by default for interior areas?

It’s so insane to see NWN2 viewed from a first person perspective.

Yes, it will be off by default. It’s configurable too.

Exponential height fog works by having a fog density at zero height and a height falloff that represents how density falloffs exponentially with height.

It’s hard to believe its NWN2 !!!

Hats off Freslook.

I have found a lighting bug in NWN2. In the following screenshot from NWN2, it stood out to me that the rug at the center was darker than in my engine:

After a lot of tweaks, finally I noticed that the rug isn’t lighted by some lights even if the object intersects the light sphere. Here is the proof, where I increased a light intensity to 50:

If the rug is placed nearer to the light, eventually it’s lighted.

I wonder if that is due to the six light limit?

Isn’t this related to the size of the object ?

I remember a bug with object scale and light too.
Beautifull that height fog.

It seems the light circle is cut by a tile limit preventing the light to go further :

I have deleted all lights affecting the rug but one and the problem persists, so it’s not about the light limit.

The rug has scale 1.5; 1.5; 0.5. I reset it to 1; 1; 1 and then it’s lighted correctly.

I recall that 4760 mentioned placeables can have some odd lighting issues if they don’t have a COL2 mesh, so I’ve been adding that even to placeables that don’t need it. I’m not sure if that is related to this issue, but it seems likely that a stock rug wouldn’t have a collision mesh.

Showcase of SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) in my engine.

Without SSAO:

With SSAO:

Without SSAO:

With SSAO:

Without SSAO:

With SSAO:

Without SSAO:

With SSAO:

An excellent enhancement. I’ve been enjoying the ambient occlusion feature in Blender. It provides a nice sense of depth and feels more realistic, so this will be a good addition.

A huge improvement to the look of interior areas but wouldn’t it look better still if the effect was bit more subtle? In the last shot the black shade on the rightmost wall looks quite intense. Also the AO doesn’t seem to interact correctly with the foliage in the second set of screens showing the corner of the cave.