Project FL

I fixed the transparency issue:

Without SSAO:

With SSAO:

The aspect I don’t like about the game’s 1-bit transparency mode is the frilly white edge it produces when the texture is not sufficiently large. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and has led me to abandon some model ports that use transparency.

Can’t say I envy you having to deal with the shadows. The original shadowing is an odd beast, with various issues that are either exclusive to the one or the other GPU vendor (e.g. Nvidia has a wonky shadow blending between character and environmental shadows, the same is not true for AMD/ATI except if you enable soft shadows which causes a slight shadow intensity mismatch between the blended character and environmental shadows; there is a huge bug on ATI/AMD cards where point-light shadows are invisible if the area’s directional light is disabled - point light shadow intensity both outdoors and indoors is modulated on AMD/ATI by the area’s directional light shadow intensity whereas Nvidia’s point-light shadows are independent of the area’s shadow intensity), or issues that are common between the two (everpresent brownish look, shimmering and bias issues, seams in point-light shadows, soft shadows causing light halos between lit and shadowed areas, shadows looking downright ugly when present on a brightly lit object). There’s also some weirdness when you use full shadowing - distant characters tend to look worse compared to how they look in the medium shadow preset.
Though if I had one wish, I would love to see underwater shadows make a comeback. I think they were visible only in the unpatched version - which unfortunately didn’t have working water reflections - and one or two pre-release screens.

With my engine, using the same assets and just modifying the shader, the looks can be changed.

One of the things that can be improved is that metals look more realistic. At the left of the picture, there is P_HHM_PF_HELM05 rendered with a vanilla-like shader. At the right, there is the same model rendered with a modified shader. Do you think the metal looks more realistic?

I’d say the one on the right looks more polished, while the one on the left appears older and/or less cared for. I don’t know whether one looks more realistic than the other. People who like shiny things will probably prefer the one on the right.

rj is right the one on the right could be said to be the newer of the two helms.

In the interest of knowing how much important would be to improve the skydome, I would like to know what is your preferred camera orientation. Thanks.

• First person (like Doom)
  • Third person, behind the PC
  • Third person, top-down (like Baldur’s Gate)
  • Other

0 voters

I do switch around for prettiness of view sometimes.

Here’s the thing… Normally I play Third Person - Top Down… But that’s mainly because how horrible NWN2’s camera is… probably it’s worst implemented feature…

I honestly think… for true immersion… First Person is the best way to go… or close to that… but NWN2 was not designed for that style of gameplay… the assets ect… really don’t look good.

Yes, and many modules also haven’t been built for the first-person view. It takes a while to master first-person play, and thus I don’t think most people bother. However, if you do cut-scenes then those will generally be a first-person view. So it’s nice to have a decent first-person look available, if only for that reason.

No particular preference for other games but for NWN2 I like to use top down view when in cramped spaces and behind the PC view when not.

So, based on the poll, I added to my TODO list the improvement of the rendering for a “Third-person, behing the PC” camera, like the sky, the atmospherere fog, etc. I think I can replace the day/night cycle with one that is more realistic and easier to configure.

Would you like to have a tree editor like this?

It’s an open source tree generator. Since I’m looking to replace SpeedTree, maybe I’m going to research in using the open source tree generator with the original spt files and tree textures.

The spt file format used in NWN2 is partially reverse engineered.

Yes very much so, though perhaps only aspects of it and not a requirement to edit every tree? If that makes senses? The don’t sway, is that an option too?

PJ

Yes, that makes sense. An option could be to make a spt (SpeedTree) file editor based on the open source tree generator. I think tree blueprints are listed in trees.2da, so a new spt file would be added to this file. Then, in the toolset, when making an area, you choose a tree blueprint and just change the random seed to generate variations of the tree, like always.

The tree generator in the video doesn’t have have any sway features. It would have to be added.

That would be huge, I think – it would allow us in theory (if I understand properly), to rack the foliage slider all the way left or right pending seasonal variations. For those of us runing PWs, that’s actually a factor.

That’s not the same as being able to create your own trees for SpeedTree, is it? Still, it looks useful; pretty cool too.

For my project, ideally I want atleast to use an open source procedural tree generator that reads a spt file and generates a tree. An extra objective could be to use the open source tree generator to write spt files as well, which would be useful for both my project and the original NWN2.

I added rendering of exterior terrains and water (not animated yet) to my engine. Now I can work on adding/improving sky, fog, water, exterior shadows, grass, trees, etc.

Bloody hell, is that the TOOLSET view?

(edit: no, of course it can’t be, duh. You’ve got a freer camera perhaps. Man, that looks great)