Project FL

That’s been my experience as well… although sometimes it just crashes outright.

0 Likes

We’ve gotten spoiled from all the cool custom content the people here have created over the years. :wink:

0 Likes

I think all of us resemble that remark both module builders and players alike.:thinking:

1 Like

For those interested in this project, I inform you that at the beginning of June I stopped working on it due to an injury that prevented me from using a hand. This problem was prolonged because the injury did not heal well and became chronic. Now I am a little better and I will dedicate some time, but I will go a lot slower. I’m going to a rehabilitation center.

0 Likes

As someone who is disabled I do hope things go well for you. Take your time the key is to look for the small victories. Good luck, Greenman.

3 Likes

I hope the rebab goes well. Just remember your health is way more important than a game. Best wishes.

3 Likes

As @Greenman6220 said, take your time. As one that suffered a severe head injury back in November, time is the real key. So don’t rush and be well.

Cheers…

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your injury, Freshlook; I know how much of an obstacle it can be not to be able to use a hand. But I’m glad to hear you haven’t dropped this project; I was getting a little concerned you might have moved on. Please take it easy and get fully healthy. Thank you for letting us know.

3 Likes

don’t push yourself too hard, man. better dedicate all your energy and time to recover as best as possible. if that’s done you can think about a stupid game again :wink:

6 Likes

I have been working with shadows, trying to get softer edges:

I use the same technique that Unity for directional lights (PCF 5x5 with 9 taps for those that understand).

6 Likes

Yes that looks more natural. Is it uniform across all light sources? Seems like you’d mainly want it for non-point sources like the Sun.

0 Likes

Point lights and spot lights use less softer but faster technique.

2 Likes

Working on physically-based atmosphere and sun rendering:

11 Likes

• Real Sun color
  • HDR
  • Bloom
  • SSAO

7 Likes

Very nice indeed. I wonder, does this fix the flickering one often sees along the edges of shadows as the Sun changes position?

0 Likes

No, the shadow edges shimmer when the Sun direction changes. I haven’t compared yet, but I guess the edge shimmering in my engine is less noticeable than in vanilla NWN2 because I filter shadow edges with a greater radius in order to produce softer shadows.

Even if this seems like an archaic problem of NWN2, I researched this topic and I don’t know any current-gen engine that completely solves this problem. It can be mitigated by:

• Increasing the shadow map resolution
  • Increasing the radius of the edge filtering to producer softer shadows
  • Reducing the intensity of the shadows

The fundamental problem is aliasing: the shadow map has a finite resolution, which produces jagged shadow edges (even if they are not visible in a static image), which shimmer when the light moves.

There is the idea of using temporal anti-aliasing for shadows (mix the current shadow with the previous frame one), but I haven’t seen any engine implementing it.

1 Like

According to my tests, it seems NWN2 doesn’t render shadows under water. Following is a screenshot of my engine rendering shadows under water:

7 Likes

That adds some very nice depth to the scene.

0 Likes