My original intention to upgrade Seasonal Forest v10 for EE has turned into a full rebuild. LoW’s meshes have too many faces and quirks to make this a reliably performing set under EE. Thus, I’ve started over, using a combination of CM3-fu and hand-modeling to fix the numerous issues with this tileset that inhibit its performance.
- CM3 is turning all shadows off (90% of them are off anyway) and doing all the water fixups.
- Once the tiles have been through CM3, I’m going in and redoing the waterplanes by hand, reducing them from 200 faces to 2 faces, and optimizing the ground plane, typically reducing that from 200 faces to 100-120. Detail preservation is good.
- I’m creating anim nodes as needed and linking the foliage meshes to those - this should improve performance (it did for Q TNO and Wild Woods).
- Finally, the tile gets reimported and all the UVMaps for the meshes I optimized are redone.
I have noticed several tiles have animation keys for meshes that shouldn’t as the only animated feature on the tile in the game are falling leaf emitters. There are also several cliff tiles where the middle of the cliff slides back and forth - very strange.(edited) Therefore, I’m also deleting these erroneous animation keys.(edited)
Current pace is 20 tiles per hour. At this speed, its going to take 146 hours, barring any major issues with tiles. Given that pace, expect to see an alpha for this overhaul on the Vault on or about the 1st of July.
As work progresses, I’ll be posting screenshots. In the meantime, here’s an appetizer:
Shiny Water that actually works…