Riding horses in NWN2

I just had coffee come out of my nose from that statement rj.:laughing:

The hinge of the screen on my laptop just broke! :sob:
I was able to copy all the ride stuff on an external hard drive though, so no problem as far as NWN2 is concerned (by the way, the custom tlk in English is ready).
Unfortunately it seems the model is too old to get spare parts, and the desktop PC is under Ubuntu. So for the time being, I’ll just try to fix it before I continue working on the ride package. If the laptop cannot be repaired, I’ll upload what I’ve got (which includes everything for p_hh?_skel based PC: models, blueprints, scripts, even a demo module).
I’ll keep you posted in a few days.

Hang in there!

Carefully opening and closing the laptop, but I could progress quite well on the library: now, the riders benefit from the AC of their horses (if better than theirs) and get half of their mounts hit points as a temporary bonus. When damaged in combat, half of the lost HP are taken from the horse (unless there are too many, in which case the horse will be at half of its initial HP and the rider will lose the rest).

On foot, first level halfling with 8 hp

but once mounted, he gets 9 more!

On the other hand, he clearly loses his bonus in stealth, lock picking, etc…

However, his movement speed is now the same as his horse’s

For this week, I found a problem with the cloaks for smaller characters. It’s easy to fix, but I have to re-export all gr2 files again.
In the meantime, I told you I was preparing some prestige classes to get some advantages from the horse riding.

Purple Dragon Knight (yep, same as NWN1) and Chevau-léger (light cavalry, similar to a rogue on a horse)
NWN2_SS_092318_223442

Purple Dragon Knight is a Prestige Class

as the Knight in Shining Armor (sorry, got it from the stock tlk)

Well, I thought it could be nice to have a few benefits even at character creation.
Available at character creation: the cavalryman

and the kossack

I also modified the icon for the skill and for the feat (the skill works as usual: the more ranks you have, the more powerful you are in the concerned area. For the feat, it’s like the weapons: if you get it, you acquire more bonuses).

Feat: gives bonus on attack and damage rolls

Skill: first of all, allows the charater to ride a horse! Then, every 5 ranks, more bonuses or reduced penalties appear.

Not to throw more work at you but what about a Mongol/Hun class?

Work in progress!

Next step: limit the weapons they can use to the short sword, long sword, short bow, long bow, maybe short spear too, and forbid all others.
I’ll also need to prevent some skills and feats from being offered at level-up (like unarmed combat. That doesn’t make sense on horseback!)

The best way to forbid certain kinds of weapon is probably to use the module’s OnEquip script (the standard one is k_mod_player_equip).

The Longbow would not be usable on Horseback. The weapon is to big to be effective on horseback.

While it may not be historically accurate for longbows to be used on horseback, in this case I think a decision like this should be left up to an individual module designer. It’s relatively simple to script a weapon exclusion, after all, and there’s nothing to say that a module designer can’t come up with a perfectly logical reason why longbows can be used on horseback in their worlds. Taking the option away robs builders of a potential tool.

If nothing else, you can fix it so that module builders can turn the feature off and on via script commenting, like in NWN1.

But they can still dismount and fight. Fist fighting might be a tribal tradition, for example, that happens back in camp.

Aqvilinus

The best way to forbid certain kinds of weapon is probably to use the module’s OnEquip script (the standard one is k_mod_player_equip).

Right, but I kinda hoped there was some 2da or feat that would do this, like “WeapProfDruid” or “WeapProfRogue”, but I’m afraid they’re actually hardcoded.

Greenman6220

The Longbow would not be usable on Horseback. The weapon is to big to be effective on horseback.

GamerX51

While it may not be historically accurate for longbows to be used on horseback,

Actually, the most famous weapon of the Huns is the Qum Darya-type composite recurve bow, often called the “Hunnish Bow”. This bow was invented some time in the 3rd or 2nd centuries BC with the earliest finds near Lake Baikal, but spread across Eurasia long before the Hunnic migration. These bows were typified by being asymmetric in cross-section (from Wikipedia).
I thought that the standard long bow would fit perfectly there, all the more so as I haven’t found a way to add new ranged weapons without overwriting existing ones.

rjshae
But they can still dismount and fight. Fist fighting might be a tribal tradition, for example, that happens back in camp.

Exact, but I was more thinking about unarmed combat while riding.

@4760, you can create new weapon proficiency feats without any problems (well, I guess so, I haven’t tried yet). Look at ReqFeatX columns in baseitems.2da.

So create a new feat and add its index to the desired kinds of weapons in baseitems.2da.

Re the longbow controversy. FWIW I remembered seeing a news item ages ago about a contest in Japan involving horseback archery and did a google image search for “japanese horseman’s bow”. Having done that I thought there may actually be a video or two on YouTube. So…

Those bows certainly look a similar length to longbows to me, even if they seem a little lighter in cross section.

TR

The keyword regarding people of steppes bows is composite not long/short. They usually were short but more powerful than non composite bows, especially used from a horseback (no real difference on foot). However from a NWN2 engine standpoint composite longbow is the best representation for warrior classes, IMO.
I’d say that Huns/Mongols shoud be given the rapid shot feat from level 1 …

Hello 4760!
You have done a great job, no doubt, I respect people who work hard, and they love their work!

But, my only question is, the race Elf, subrace Drow(My favorite Race) can ride a horse, and while the horse will be displayed on the screen, will not it disappear?(In the original RWS, horses unfortunately do not appear on the screen, when use race Elf or Drow)

Thanks in advance!

Will waiting, when we can get of your work, even alpha, or demo version…(Time not matter, will waiting…)

P.S.:
Forgive me for my bad English…

I was about to make the same statement about the composite being the key aspect.

Wow . . . Awesome work.

SUgo77

Hello 4760 !
You have done a great job, no doubt, I respect people who work hard, and they love their work!

Thanks SUgo77

SUgo77
But, my only question is, the race Elf, subrace Drow(My favorite Race) can ride a horse, and while the horse will be displayed on the screen, will not it disappear?(In the original RWS, horses unfortunately do not appear on the screen, when use race Elf or Drow)

I can confirm that all the tests I made show that the horses don’t disappear.

@Aqvilinus

So create a new feat and add its index to the desired kinds of weapons in baseitems.2da.

Thanks, that should do it! I got confirmation from NWN2Wiki that the ReqFeatn are alternative feats (so, in the example of the long bow, you either need to have the martial weapons proficiency [feat #45] or be an elf [feat 256] or be a gray orc [feat 2177]). So I’ll just add my ride feat here and exclude feat #45 from the hun class to prevent them from using anything else!
Thanks again.