Should actually be sleeping right now

Hey, VSauce- uh, sorry

Hey, your most annoying jackass is back, and I’m here to flood the forums again with questions that don’t involve the toolset.

And by flood, I mean probably just ask the one question and vanish again.

Anyway, this is about spells like Sleep and Deep Slumber. Was reading them up earlier, and their descriptions confuse me 'cuz I’m not that well-versed on D&D.

Deep Slumber: Puts 10 HD of creatures to sleep.

Sleep: Puts 4 HD of creatures into magical slumber.

Took my idiotic hide too long to remember that Hit Die doesn’t just mean HP, but also levels. (Got strong opinions on why they say HD instead of levels)

But the wording confuses me and brought an entirely different line of thought. I sum it up by asking if that kind of spells functions in any of the following ways:

1- They affect any and all creatures (depending on whether or not friendly fire is on) in the area, provided they’re all no higher than the stated cap in the spell. (For Deep Slumber, LVL. 10, and for Sleep, LVL. 4)

2- Something I found that may or may not be exclusive to D&D 5E, you roll and have a pool of HD (the number of which depends on the spell description) that gets used up on the targets in the area depending on their levels, and it affects those with the lowest levels first, and when the pool runs out, you’ve hit the target limit.

The second method seems more likely for Sleep, but Deep Slumber doesn’t say to roll and only says “it affects 10 HD of creatures”, which I can infer to mean it either affects all targets in the area so long they’re no higher than LVL. 10, or has a pool of just 10 HD, which honestly seems like hardly an improvement from Sleep if you don’t factor in the fact getting the max HD for Sleep depends on the roll.

3.5 SRD Sleep

When facing a band of 3 goblins lead by a Bugbear, the three goblins will fall asleep, but not the bugbear.

(Goblins (the lesser monsters are calculated first) =1 HD +1 HD + 1 HD = 3 HD worth of monsters, leaving 1 HD of creatures to fall asleep.
The bugbear (greater monster) is a 3 HD creature and remains awake, due to the remaining 1 HD of sleep (out of the 4 HD cap of the spell) not being enough to overcome the 3 HD of the bugbear.

As far as “all creature” types in an area falling asleep, that’s not correct.

Sleep is a very effective low level bomb.

3.5 SRD Deep Slumber

1 Like

the spellscripts say more like this →

both spells work the same: starting with the lowest HD critters, hit them and subtract their HD from the total pool of HD remaining.

Sleep L1

• max HD of target: 5
  • total HD affected: 4+d4 (maximized: 8, empowered 150%)
  • duration: Casterlevel+3 (extended: 200%) scaled down by difficulty when cast against party

DeepSlumber L3

• max HD of target: 5
  • total HD affected: 10+d10 (maximized: 20, empowered 150%)
  • duration: Casterlevel+3 (extended: 200%) scaled down by difficulty when cast against party

Both spells target STANDARDHOSTILE, meaning target only hostiles if game-difficulty is < hardcore; else target anything.

I’m away from my computer.

Where are the constructs/undead listed immune?

Also, are unconscious creatures immune in the NWN2?

in the scripts
nw_s0_sleep
nw_s0_deepslmbr

nope. ( There isn’t a effect_type for unconscious … )

ps. i check for ‘mindless’ in my custom spellscripts →

// Checks if oCreature does not have a mind.
int spellsIsMindless(object oCreature)
{
	switch (GetRacialType(oCreature))
	{
		case RACIAL_TYPE_ELEMENTAL:
		case RACIAL_TYPE_UNDEAD:
//		case RACIAL_TYPE_VERMIN: // huh, I don't believe that rats are mindless.
		case RACIAL_TYPE_CONSTRUCT:
		case RACIAL_TYPE_OOZE:
			return TRUE;
	}
	return FALSE;
}

Wait, so I roll for Deep Slumber regardless? Even though it doesn’t say to roll?

yep

int nHD = 10 + d10();

… Imma beat the man that wrote the spell descriptions

its not just the spell descriptions …

Oh right, there’re also spells that don’t work right.

2 Likes