So is there still interest in new modules?

Speaking as someone who only started playing online PWs in the past few years, I still spent over a decade with NWN installed on every new PC to simply play single player modules. There’s absolute a market for new single player content, however small, and some people are still releasing things. A number of fairly recent modules are more engaging for me than actual full release games that come out anymore.

3 Likes

I still play single player only. There’s more than enough pointless drama in my life as is that I don’t need to let strangers on the Web add more. I enjoy quiet evenings in the game or the toolset and thank the members here for helping me with both.

Make a mod you would want to play. Let us know how it’s going from time to time. And welcome.

6 Likes

Well, I use to comment and vote every single module I have played here on the vault because I think that it’s the right thing to do. But if I can think to a reason for such a small number of comments here on this site I think that it’s just a matter of proportions. If you have 5000 people who downloaded the module and let’s say the 1% of them will vote you will have 50 votes. I don’t remember the numbers from the old IGN Vault but I don’t think that even at those times every person who played the modules used to value them. Therefore if nowadays the amount of download is 200 and the percentage is the same you will have 2-3 votes at max. I don’t see anything different from how it was before. I also think that having a lot of abandoned modules doesn’t help. Someone should also think “Why should I bother if I don’t even know if the author is still around?”. This is also the reason why I keep saying that actually supported modules should be more highlighted here on the Vault.

5 Likes

You didn’t comment on my module “Amnesia Chapter 1” :slight_smile:

I appreciate this feedback. That’s it.
Thanks for the message dear, maxlubas.

2 Likes

That’s just because I have still to play it but don’t worry: it’s already on my list. you know, I go back and forth from NWN1 to NWN2 modules and in the last few months I have been almost entirely on NWN2. When I’ll be back to NWN1 it will be the first one I’ll check. Rest assured that you’ll read my comment then! :smiley: :

3 Likes

@hartunga, check this thread: About the feedback…, I put some pools, trying, among other things, to asses potential players preferences. Granted, the responses were not many, but maybe it’ll help you.

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: will follow up. :slight_smile:

Oh there is interest for new modules. The problem is when there are votes you will notice a lot of the same names from one module to the next.:grinning:

2 Likes

What is Steam exactly? I was unaware of it til this thread. I have a project I’d like to release in 2019 for the ; would it be 15th anniversary of the original NWN game?

Basically just another shop with a community kinda like GOG.

The NWN:EE Steam page

Do I have to develope a module in EE format to have it uploaded? I don’t have anything downloaded from EE currently and my present project is just with CEP stuff. And thanks for the link too!

No it doesn’t have to be EE specific, but would have to be EE compatible tho as the Steam crowd would be all using EE to play any modules they get from there. Most (but not all) old modules work fine with EE as is.

r0d0r thanks so much for your helpful information. I love this community because of insightful posters such as yourself! Thanks.

Old modules (and new ones developed using 1.69) generally work fine with EE, as @pscythe says.

I’m still developing in 1.69 (for now) but publishing on both Steam and the Vault.

You do need to test your module with EE (or get a friend to do so) as a few have issues, but so far I haven’t heard of a problem that can’t be fixed using 1.69.

1 Like

I want to add, that there is also HUGE interest in creating modules.

Back in 2002 when NWN came out, module building (or content creation) was neither common nor widespread and the Aurora Toolset was the very first AAA game editor that provided the whole range of CC tools.

If we look at the Nexus where 1000ds and 1000ds of community created content for nearly every moddable RPG (and others) is uploaded on a daily bases, I have no doubt, that modders as well as players will give NWN another try now it’s revived and on Steam.

1 Like

Well, as a player of your modules I would say “Yes, I’m interested!”

2 Likes

New modules are something that I am waiting for. Just only take a look on a game like EVE Online where there is a lot of paths of play. Impossible to do everything.

3 Likes

From me, definitely! I’m always on the lookout for new modules to play, exploring interesting stories, meeting unique characters, and challenging combat.

Wait, Chris Huntoon? Your modules, especially Halo of Flies and Shadow From a Soul on Fire are superb! I would love to see what new ideas you have in store!

5 Likes

Thank you. That’s nice of you to say.

I do have a few different ideas for modules I’d like to start working on. And I have started to refamiliarize myself with the toolset. Unfortunately, there is a lot I’ve forgotten - especially when it comes to scripting. So don’t expect anything from me too soon.

4 Likes

Certainly, I am still interested in new modules. After all, I have been playing NWN1 for years now, and I’ve not gotten around to NWN2 yet…

I like to play a character up to the highest level I can possibly take them to, and I really develop an attachment to them, so new adventures for my character are eagerly sought after.

Any new modules are always welcome as far as I am concerned, it is good to keep the game alive, and fresh, after all these years.

2 Likes