I understand the NW Vault forum is probably not the place where the most players of single player modules hang out, but maybe someone here can still help me out?
I’ve played a lot of NWN modules a decade ago and recently I’ve played a couple that I missed out on back in the days. Some I loved (Ravenloft: Beyond the Gate), some I liked well enough (A Tangled Web 1&2, Crimson Tides of Tethyr), others I started and got kind of bored with, either pushed through or abandoned them. I’m still looking for something new that completely draws me in again.
What I would love:
- nice atmosphere and area design
- rewarding exploration, comparatively open design
- lots of side quests, brownie points if they’re original and/or funny
What tends to dampen my enthusiasm at the moment:
- rather slow gameplay, too much running to and fro
- too much talking about relatively mundane or fantasy cliché stuff (it’s fine in short doses, but I don’t want to spend a lot of time reading unless I’m really fascinated by the story and writing)
- too many merchants strewn all over the place
- too many buildings you can enter without good reason and without finding much of interest in them
- too big and empty looking areas
- too many containers with measly loot and/or too many loot drops from enemies
- unbalanced combat
- respawning enemies, randomly spawning trash mobs
- general lack of polish
Can anyone recommend modules that might fit my preferences? (I suspect modules less focussed on city adventures and more about exploring the wild would have better chances with me, but it all depends on how they’re done.) Keep in mind that I have already played a lot (though not all) of the really popular ones, so hidden gems would be most welcome (I know, that’s a tall order).