The Scroll (Module Two Continued) - Episode 23: Most Puzzling My Dear Halfling (Puzzle Video Link)

Hi All,

Continued from this thread … The Scroll (Module Two Continued) - Episode 20: Adventuring Proper!

The latest instalment …

And the opening paragraph …

Building a module is not always a plain sailing affair. In fact, ask any builder, and I can guarantee they will have a bunch of “issue” stories as long as their module quests list relating to the building of their behemoth! For any module can become a monster to wrestle with when the NWN toolset is involved, irrespective of module size. I too, have not been without issues in the making of my modules, and over the last week or so, I can, at last, say that I have put two such particularly nasty encounters behind me. Read on …

1 Like

Hi All,

The latest instalment …

With the toolset issues behind me, I am now able to push forward with the creation of module two of The Scroll with more ease. Especially in the department of working with sounds and VFXs. I am not an expert in this area at all, but find I am able to rework some of those VFXs that others have made or come with the toolset already. To this end, when I found myself in need of another VFX for the latest dungeon I am working on, I was pleased to find I was able to make the VFX I needed. Read on …

2 Likes

Hi All,

I could not resist but post an image showing three new puzzle screens that will come with The Scroll (second module) before my next update post … I may upload a video in the “Episode” posts to show them in operation. They should also work in a MP game displaying the GUI to all player, with the clicking player being the controller.

Cheers, Lance.

FIRST: Simple sequence puzzle. PCs must copy sequence played.
SECOND: Find the sequence. Feedback by dial on how many are correct.
THIRD: Plays sounds and PC must duplicate the sequence from eight.

If a party have a higher skill (new skill) then the requirements (at the top) become less.

2 Likes

Hi All,

The latest instalment …

One of the things I like most about D&D as a whole is its variety of play. We have exploration, we have encounters, we have combat … and we have puzzles! Furthermore, NWN2 is a great platform for all of them. Where else can you create an entire party of adventurers by yourself or with friends and play a D&D campaign of a home brew design sporting its own unique new GUI puzzles? Personally, I like a campaign that provides puzzles, and this post is about some of the new ones that I am hoping to bring to supporting players when it is finally released. Read on …

1 Like

Hi All,

I just thought I would share this experience with you all … as builders or as a player … as a day in the life of a builder. I know we all know this, but why do we always think it’s going to be smoother “this time around” …

So, I thought I would finish off writing this “simple” side quest today … and guess what … why is it never as simple as I first think? Here was the basic premise, without spoilers …

1. PC grabs quest from speaking with NPC.
  2. PC acquires items and returns to NPC. Job done!

Now, here is how it worked out in reality, highlighting the issues as they came up …

1. What happens if PC does not talk to NPC and finds items?
  2. What happens if PC decides to keep items and not return them to NPC?
  3. What happens if NPC dies before returning said items to NPC? And when does the player know this? Is the original reward still on the NPC?
  4. What happens if PC finds items, picks them up and then decides to drop them again to retrieve items?

Now, the added complication to all this is that the “items” is in fact a “container” itself. So, now we have the added concept of having to include item placeables for if and when the player decides to drop the container (due to it being heavy) and thereby giving access to the original placeable object again.

And because I like to have some items (that are actually placeables), then I also like to consider what it will look like (in the environment) by the time the PC returns it where it needs to go.

I know this can all be done “easily enough” (as I have just about reached that point now), but I just wanted to articulate why some modules take a long time to build, as I never intended this minor quest to take so long … but it did. I am just grateful that most of my scripts were already present, although even this small exercise required a couple of new scripts, and a revision of some existing ones, even if it was just to recall where I had to place certain variables to make it work.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest and offer it as a small reason as to why these things can sometimes take so long to do.

Cheers, Lance.

1 Like

For all those following … Complete area level map spoiler alert … :wink:

1 Like