The Scroll - v2.38 NOW AVAILABLE! (Henchmen Control. Transitions. DM Invis.)

Hi KevL,

UPDATE (RE summons problem below): It was an error in my own code - now fixed. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the links - It was a welcome to my morning, especially the Sonny and Cher link, which certainly sounded right for the mood. :slight_smile:

Some good news: I found the problem last night. It related to “Relaying” a command to a companions followers, which linked back to the same custom looped check for the relayed creatures own calls. Thereby, I ended up stuck in the same loop if any of the looped henchmen/companions had their own summoned creature (and I guess any other own follower such as a familiar, but I did not check those). i.e. The loop goes through all companions, which then relays to their summons, which then calls back the same function (for them to have an action altered), but also starts the loop through the companions again … and so on … as the beat goes on. :wink:

That is now fixed, but I am trying to resolve another issue before posting the latest version: I thought I had this resolved, but it may be something about the way the NWN2 engine works … I thought a PC could send a command directly to a summoned creature - if they were the PC that summoned it. i.e. Player controls three PCs, and one of them is a cleric who summons a monster. The player then (while still possessing the cleric) right clicks and is able to issue a command to the summoned creature. I have noticed that this option is there, but when the player issues the command to the summoned creature this way, the summoned creature does not appear to “hear” the command, even though it has listening patterns set within its on spawn and on dialogue scripts.

My suspicion now is that the direct command to summoned creatures is no longer supported and uses the “relay to” command via any commands given by the main PC to their companions - which then “relay” the command to any followers they have themselves.

As I say, it has been some while since I looked at the AI, especially when related to summoned creatures. That is what I am currently looking at again, to see if it is something I may have done in error.

And I don’t know if this is normal (or something I altered at some point), but are summoned creatures supposed to go into the party portraits or not? In my case, the PC (or companion) cast the summoned and then the creature appears to join at first and then immediately drops out of the party portraits again, but remains in the party. As I say, this may be normal and something I did not notice before.

Anyway, any light you can shed on this matter would be welcome. In the meanwhile, I will continue to check my own code and/or see if there is a way to make the summoned “hear” a direct order, even if it means (if possible) relaying a companions own “shouts” via itself … if you see what I mean.

Cheers, Lance.

uhm sure they can, I’m always telling my bear to attack/follow/etc – i don’t see why it would be different for a summons, offhand …

uhm, yes? Test: load a stock game and summon a skel, see what happens

although it doesn’t sound like it, but if your question is about a summons of a summons things get a bit trickier … or a summons of a henchman etc. Then it’s dealing with a few functions that may have to loop up/down through masters (up) or associates (down)

as well as oddly named things like GetCurrentMaster() and GetCurrentRealMaster() in ‘x0_i0_assoc’

Hi KevL,

All the normal “listening responses” sorted themselves after I worked out why the summoned creature was not staying within the party bar. It was due to a faction change I had used to prevent another issue (which no longer appears to be such) and so after commenting out that, the summoned creature reappeared in the party bar and followed orders again.

However, I have been testing the logic with respect to those orders depending upon who the player is currently possessing or not - and whether the summoned belonged to one player or another. And in relation to other AI and the new Follow/stand ground GUI. (As well as individual shouts v broadcast shouts.) I think/hope the logic is reasonably sound now, and will now upload the new module. (If you ever have the opportunity to test it, then do let me know if the logic of what to expect could be improved. Although I appreciate that sometimes it is a matter of personal taste.)

Our group has the opportunity to test it better tonight. :slight_smile:

Thanks for keeping me at it with the extra comments and feedback. It all helps.

Cheers, Lance.

Hi All,

There was an annoying bug in the summon creature code, which affected the new GUI from working properly, as well as affecting the party bar. However, this has now been fixed and is available at the usual place:-

VERSION 2.37 HERE: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/scroll

It took slightly longer to resolve as I wanted to check the logic of who and what was giving commands in the presence of the summoned creature. Hopefully, the final responses logic will suit the majority of players.

I hope to have another Adventure Continues episode in the near future. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your patience with the release of this latest version.

Lance.

no prolemo. This is the best thing since sliced bread Xoreos.

(if i could only get my nose of out the IDE i’d finish my playthrough of SoZ)

@rjshae woohoo I saw what you did there! (actually i didn’t, but yer name’s in the credits.)

Someday I’ll play The Scroll on xoreos.

Hi KevL,

EDIT: Why doesn’t my “quote” work?

That looks like a daunting project!

I hope you do manage to play The Scroll at some time, as you may well see some stuff you helped with (indirectly) and may be able to discover other stuff that could be improved. :slight_smile:

If you are aiming to play MP though, it may be worth waiting until the MP bugs are squashed. :wink:

Cheers, Lance.

re.quotes
not sure, try keeping [quote] and [/quote] on their own lines. Or just select text and a small Quote menu appears above the selected text …

re.XOReos
hugely daunting …

I’m sure i will play The Scroll at some point, Lance. MP (while hugely funner than SP) hasn’t been my style for years …

for The Scroll, I’ll wait/help till it’s bugfree. Then suggest “improvements” /heh

Have you seen this thread on how these forums work? Anyway, to quote someone in the same thread simply highlight the text you want to quote. Once you let go of the mouse button a clickable button with “QUOTE” on it should appear. Click that and Discourse will automatically create the quote for you. Also if you haven’t started a post a new one will be created.

TR

That was it … separate lines. :slight_smile:

Do keep me updated when you do. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up … I don’t remember having to put the quote command on separate lines before.

All better now. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Lance.

Last night’s session was a blast! I mean that in a good way, as the session went smoothly and we all had a great time as we brought the story of the Halls of the Goblin Kings to a timely end. The session had a couple of very minor issues, some of which I fixed even as we played they were so small; and there were a couple that added a momentary point of comment, but otherwise everything went well. In fact the worse bug of the night was at the very end when we discovered another transition bug due to trying to jump while a conversation was ending. Everything is fixed now (see below for more detail), and at the request of my player on WAN, I hope to add another puzzle to MP compatibility (Combi Chest). I am also considering adding Readable Books (and scrolls) activated via a placeable to the MP compatibility too. I will report back in the next blog update how this goes, hopefully.

The List of Fixes

1) SHOW GUI TOOLTIP: I removed a bracket from a tooltip that was preventing the XML from displaying the tip on the follow icon. (XML is very fussy about its characters allowed.)

2) FOOD CONVERSATION: Added an option to drop out of a conversation if the heroes did not want to taste the food on the top floor of the Halls.

3) SKULL TRAP WARNING: When reading the book on the top floor of the Halls, the heroes had a sudden Trap Warning message show. This was due to a check missing to determine if the PCs needed warning of a trap becoming active or not. In this case they did not and the check has now been added to fix any further potential issues.

4) QUEST FANFARE: Upon returning an item the heroes had to collect for Orechin, the quest ended and the fanfare showed (but not properly) and there was no fanfare sound. This has now been fixed.

5) CONVERSATION PAUSE: This may just have been a one-off, but I have taken steps to hopefully avoid this happening again: A conversation fired from a trigger to make Sebastion comment about a door. The conversation is supposed to pause for two seconds, but it did not return from the pause, forcing us to have to reload. Between reloading, I altered the code to have the conversation handle the pause (which had not worked before on another occasion), rather than a script. This time around the node method worked. I have since altered the timing of triggers destruction, in case that had some bearing on the pausing function in conversations, which have a pause action in them. There are a few of these, but some, the players have already played (and they worked fine), and others are yet to be played. I will keep an eye on this one.

6) MERKES’ DOOR TRANSITION: The biggest issue came at the point we stopped play anyway: With Merkes’ front door we encountered another transition that failed because the PCs were still in a conversation (it was just ending), which prevents the transition from firing. The script used has now been replaced with a “conversation friendly” version. Hopefully that really should be the last of them, as I did another search of the module for similar situations.

7) HENCHMEN CONTROL: My player on WAN said he was still experiencing some disobedient companion/henchmen behaviour when using the broadcast commands (my new GUI worked OK). I looked over the code and made some slight alterations to ensure the commands were being rallied more effectively and upon testing all worked fine for me. I tested a number of combinations and all appeared good. I have also tweaked the henchmen default distances to be a little farther away from the main player (6 meters) so that they do not get under their feet. Again, my own testing found this much easier to use.

8) OTHER FIXES (INC DM INVISIBILITY): Again, we found another typo and I have tried adjusting a variable for the Target GUI, which appeared to be using the wrong object (Main PC instead of oFM). That may fix some feedback that appeared slightly off in rare occasions. Lastly, I added some code to help keep the DM invisible to the players. For some unknown reason, whenever I used the DM previously, the players could simply talk to a companion and I would appear (come out of its invisibility to players). I have now added the cutscene VFX to the default effect, which now makes me completely invisible (even to myself). I do get the target circle on the ground, and can still toggle back to the DM default version to see myself and walk through doors (which was also disabled when applying the new effect).

Catch up with the heroes in our session here (at the bottom of the blog): https://worldofalthea.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-adventure-continues-17-not-so-fair.html

Download v2.38 here: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/scroll

EDIT/UPDATE: v2.39 (next release) will have MP support of Combination Chests, Placeable Read Books/Scrolls (as opposed to Item Books/Scrolls), and Notice Board & Mercy Boards. i.e. When player 1 activates one of these placeable objects, all players will receive the GUI interface to watch. (The GUI can be closed by players who do not wish to watch the action or read the information being presented.) NB: Players control Read Book pages independently.