EDIT: I had to start a new post because I could no longer edit the TITLE of the last set of posts. I will keep making this the main post from now until I hit the same “Titling” problem again.
I have a number of things to speak about in this post, for there has been a lot of fixes and updates; some minor, but a few “major”. I also have one or two other “updates” in the idea stage, which I will also talk about. As there is a lot to say, I will get stuck straight in:-
The List of Fixes
1) MAP BLOCKS: On the back of a previous fix, I decided to improve the “door code” so that monsters do clear an associated map block when opening a door if the PCs are nearby.
2) LOAD GAME: There has been some loading improvements, which also required a fix to allow CURSED items to work on a reload properly.
3) MAP PINS: Some map pins were not updating due to other nearby potential targets being activated instead. The target system for such has been fixed.
4) JOURNAL UPDATE: The “Lady of the Lake” journal had a repeated updating due to an error in a conversation. This has been addressed.
5) TB COMBAT: Some creatures were slow to start TB COMBAT upon activation. This has now been fixed.
6) AUTO EXAMINE OBJECTS: Some placeable objects are designed to give a full examine feedback prior to further use. Some objects were having issues between showing the info and starting interaction within our MP session, causing difficulty in closing a GUI. This has now been fixed.
7) GOLD HANDLING: This was a bigger issue, and is related to the old Money Pouch issues of previous reports. This time I gave the system a complete overhaul, removing any reliance upon heartbeat calls and ensuring all “Give” and “Take” of gold functions are replaced with my own home-brew versions that immediately fire the weight check scripts upon gold transactions. Furthermore, additional checks at PC entry have been added to ensure gold pouches are not prematurely added when nearby companions with pouches still need to be joined. UPDATE: The latest version has been uploaded again (there were no downloads to date), and also makes sure the gold is corrected if a player takes control of another players PC that carries pouches.
8) CURSED ITEMS: There was a timing issue that prevented the cursed items working as expected on a reload of a game. This has now been fixed. Furthermore, the cursed item descriptions have been updated to reflect that such items can only be removed with “Oil of Unbinding” or a cleric can cast Remove Curse on any cursed items that they carry only. i.e. The Remove Curse spell cannot be used to free other PCs of their cursed items.
9) CODE IMPROVEMENTS: I have also reworked some old coding related to storing of items when companions either leave the party or die and leave a tombstone. This had to be done due to the overhaul of the gold related issue.
10) GAME BREAKING TRANSITION: Fixed a broken transition to Demons Bowl. (Was in the emergency v2.49 release.)
The List of Updates
1) UNDERWATER: I added a “slowed” effect for being underwater.
2) LIGHT BLINDNESS: Credit to KevL who fixed a problem I noticed where Light Blindness was not penalising a PC when in daylight. This code has been slightly altered and added to my campaign to work now.
3) GAME BALANCING: A lot of effort was placed into re-calculating the challenge rating of monsters, both placed and encounters. Balancing was adjusted to cater for smaller or larger parties, and the difficulty setting the player had set among other factors. A battle we had on the night showed the balancing was much better and made for an epic battle, in my opinion.
1) DEFAULT STATS: After some feedback, I am considering adding a section to the character sheet that shows the DEFAULT ability and skill values (without any alterations due to bonuses or penalties.) This allows players to more quickly ascertain by how much something has been positively or negatively influenced.
2) HENCHMEN WAIT: After leaving Scraps at the water side and finding him gone upon returning, I am considering possibly allowing such creatures to stay around a little longer “waiting” for the PCs to return than they currently do. Subject to how much time I get, I will look into this.
Catch up with the heroes in our session here (also with screen shots at the bottom of the blog): https://worldofalthea.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-adventure-continues-26-farewell.html (NOW WITH MULTI-LANGUAGE SUPPORT)
Download campaign v2.50 here (module v2.50): https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/scroll