Trying to install to a different hard drive than C

Hi folks,

I just got a new computer, with a 120gb SSD and a 1TB hard drive. I want to install NWN:EE with the Beamdog Client, but specify the path to my bigger hard drive. Alas, when I try to do this, I get the message from the BD client “Warning! The selected drive does not have sufficient space to install.” or something like that. But it has 900GB free space.

In addition, I would like to be able to save some downloading by moving my current files from my laptop to the new computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

JFK

Ugh. Rebooting the computer seems to have fixed the not enough space issue. Now to decode where to put everything…

Depends on number of files and their total size. The three usual options are:

1. Carry everything on large USB 3.0 flash (rate: 30 - 130 MB/s).
  2. Disconnect the HDD from PC and attach via USB 3.0 to the laptop (external case needed, rate: 100 - 200 MB/s with SATA III and power supply).
  3. Start a small FTP server on the PC (i.e. with FileZilla) and do a LAN upload (rate: 12.5 MB/s for fast and 125 MB/s for gigabit Ethernet).

Network is the slowest option, but allows you to upload in batches (i.e. half today, half tomorrow) and doesn’t require any extra devices. If you enable FTPS, you may get slower transfer / higher CPU usage but the encryption will ensure data integrity during the transfer. Also if you are transferring a lot of small files (thousands or millions), you may want to pack them up first.