Latest … After removing some VFX, I thought I may have “fixed” it … BUT (and this gets weirder now), I had also toggled my TEST variable on so I could get some feedback. And I discovered that with this TEST variable set the area loaded fine, even after I reinstated the original area files.
However, at first going through the files, I cannot see how or where this variable makes any difference. (There are a lot to follow.) Most just enable text feedback of variables. I thought I found something when the variable also stopped something to do with Unacquiring an object, but further testing proved this a dead end.
So, currently, I am veering towards some small bit of code that may be having an impact on my wife’s game, but to be honest, I currently cannot see how or where. I will try and trace every path this test variable takes to try and see if and where the difference may be.
However, with it set to TRUE, it has never failed. This appears more than coincidence to me, even if there is currently no logical reason I can find behind it. I’ll look some more and try to keep you updated.
UPDATE: OK, I have gone through EVERY instance where the TEST mode is enabled and there are only two places where it could possibly have an impact. The first instance, I had tested out when I tested the area with the entry scripts disabled. And the second instance, when a PC unacquires an item never showed any debug feedback as having fired. Although, I am a little suspect of this and so even added some check for valid items too. However, it still crashes after a few tests.
So, I am now none the wiser. Why the area should “work” when there is effectively more work going on at times (debug feedback enabled) as opposed to not, I don’t know. I’ll keep an eye open moving forward, but for now, I think that will have to do.