Vault rating standards?

So, after a long hiatus from NWN, I’ve recently played a few modules, commented on them and gave them a rating, if I managed to play through them. Those ratings, of course, were rather personal, following my own subjective standards of what these random numbers or stars could actually mean. And I noticed that while I’d personally think my ratings scale is rather fair and not harsh or extreme (with ratings mostly between 6-9/10 for anything not bad), most ratings seem to oscillate within a narrower spectrum of 8-10/10, which I guess is more encouragng to the few authors who are still active, but doesn’t leave much room for distinguishing a true masterpiece from a well meant first attempt with room for improvement.

Anyway, I’m aware that discussing ratings is a bit futile and that there won’t ever be a true consensus on how to interpret the numbers or whether it has more merit to be encouragingly nice or (constructively) critical, but it can still be interesting to hear different opinions, so if you feel like giving yours here, go ahead!

I do have one particular reason for starting the thread though as well, and that is, I vaguely remember that there was once a recommendation for ratings on the old Vault somewhere, where every number was attributed to a specific description like “an absolute masterpiece/must-play”, “shows potential, but is lacking some polish” etc. etc. Does anyone here still remember what I mean and where to find that table?

1 Like

Personal opinion - as you say, consensus is unlikely.

Just take it as a rough indication, like Amazon or whatever.

The actual ratings aren’t even used as rankings here - it’s only possible to rank on number of votes.

I remember the old Vault’s attempt to standardise. It was very controversial, because it wasn’t generally agreed, heavily weighted against new authors, and largely ignored.

1 Like

Does that mean it’s more beneficial to an author to leave a lower rating than no rating at all?

To the limited extent that players use the rankings, yes, low ratings actually help authors on this site.

Is there a way to track replies to your comments on the Vault, or new comments on Vault projects in general?

For general tracking I keep an eye on the Recent Content from the front page. In spite of its name, it does notify of new comments, blog updates, etc. For specific projects there is a link underneath the download link to “Subscribe to: This Project” and another one to “Subscribe to: Posts of This Type Project”.

TR

1 Like

I use this url to track updates to the Vault.

Which is the same as going Navigation/Recent content from the front page as I said earlier :slightly_smiling_face:.

TR

Oh, right. I stumbled upon this once but then couldn’t find it again. Turns out that’s because I always clicked on the menu options that pop up when you move the mouse over it (“Contribs” / “Quick Jump”), without realizing I just had to click on the main thing and ignore the menu. Thanks to the both of you! Also good to know you can subscribe to specific projects, thanks!

I’ve found out something … funny? really annoying? not sure yet … about notifications. If you subscribe to a project, you’re not only notified about new posts, apparently, but also about each time a user edits their post. So if someone - okay, for the sake of simplicity, let’s say that someone were me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - is so anal that they proofread their looong comment after posting and edit it, let’s say, er, 20 times or so, for each typo they find, everyone who subscribed to that project will get 20 notification e-mails … I really hope noone else but me subscribed to Tales of Arterra - The Lost, haha. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I use “my account” -> “track”. It shows updates and new comments on all my projects and all projects I commented on. Or maybe just the second part? Its the superset of the first.

Did you check it applies to all posts on project’s page or only to the edits of the last post (when it’s still advertised as “new”?).

Where would I check that?

Anyway, the all is not really the point, the point is that you’re notified of the same post over and over again, just because the author fixed some typos, one by one. :wink:

It is the point because it would increase the number of notifications being sent for two different reasons. Perhaps it only applies to the last post and perhaps only when it is “new” (read: unread via Vaults web interface) for given subscriber.

It is also possible that editing the last post simply replaces it with the edited one, which triggers the “new post, notify subs” subroutine.

Possibly, but I got these (e-mail) notifications myself, even though I was the one editing the post via the Vault’s web interface and therefor had already read it immediately after it was posted.

That sounds very likely.